iMac 27 + Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cabbit, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I was thinking of getting a Mac Pro and 30inch ACD in January but when i was going over the specs of the new iMac 27inch and that it had a video in i have started to consider using the iMac as the screen for the Mac Pro and even as the "Office" computer where the power of the Mac Pro is not needed for the intensive tasks(modelling and rendering)

Has anyone been considering this "best of both" approach. My considerations here is that while the Macpro is needed for 40% of my computing needs the iMac is cheeper to run for the other 60% of my usage and cheeper than the 30inch ACD.

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure how the iMac as a screen work but IF, and it's a big IF cause I don't know, you're able to have the iMac turned on and use the screen for a Mac Pro you could then use it as an extra render machine.

My guess is no, and that you have to hold down some key on startup so that only the screen becomes active, but if it was possible I'd shell out for an i7 immediately.

Please can someone confirm this as untrue before I get someone unnecessarily excited!!

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

im in the same boat sorta .. i am planning on buying a new mac pro as soon as the new update is released and 30 in acd if that ever gets updated as well.
    but lately ive been eyeing the imac cuz for the most part it will do everything i want .. even if i end up doing video editing on a larger scale .. sorry for sorta hijacking your thread .. but im curious as well for an answer

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

there are other 30" monitors for less?

or how about a refurb 30"?

Here in the USA, the refurb 30" is $500 cheaper than new.

Dell makes some really nice 30", odds are they use the exact same LG panel.

5. pprior macrumors 65816

??

30" is $200 less than the 27" imac base and the refurb is quite a bit less.

You won't save money, that's for sure, because you then have higher elec bills as well.

You would gain an extra computer I guess, but the hassle of having 2 systems to keep documents synced with, etc if you already have hte mac pro I just don't see the sense in this idea personally.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

iMac as a display for the MacPro definitely works. There is a thread around here that shows pictures of that.

If you can live with the glossy screen, you should definitely go for the iMac. You get a nice display with almost the same resolution than the 30" Cinema PLUS a fast computer for almost the same price.

The computer behind the display could be used for several tasks, like a server or just for having a backup computer in case that the MacPro goes down.

It's always nice not to be dependent on a single machine!

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

+1

8. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Sorry, just to confirm.

"The computer behind the display could be used for several tasks, like a server or just for having a backup computer in case that the MacPro goes down."

Is that 100% true?

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing Apple will announce a new 2560x1600 LED display based off the iMac screen when new Pros get release next year.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If I was doing my setup over, I would buy a PAIR of 27" iMacs (i7)!

For daily tasks, I would use the 2nd iMac as a monitor only, and then fire up the 2nd quad for rendering/encoding tasks. :D

Anyone want to buy my Mac Pro Quad + 24" ACD? ;)

11. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

bjLB, the short answer is yes, a number of people have considered and in fact, one reader here has already shared his/her setup.

& if you are feeling adventurous (with some extra and extreme budget ;)) you may consider this option too.

p.s. i shall not hide my enthusiasm over this matter. i'm also guilty of being one of the few who has and still considering such an option since the launch of the new iMac 27". i started having desires of getting the mac mini server, then the entry level 21.5" then came the 27". what next? may just decide to get a 30" haha! also haven't given up on the idea of Dell's U2410 display. but i so want an Apple Display!

12. frimple macrumors 6502

You should put it up on flea-bay. No better time to sell than now ;)

13. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Absolutely love that set up, though i am happier with just a single screen than three. Its the extra horse power on demand that is alluring me.

14. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

bjLB, if you are really after a single large screen, and budget isn't too huge of a problem. Also, if it has to be an Apple branded one. At this point in time, 30" ACD is probably your best and only choice unless you care to settle for the 24" Display. I'm sure you know about other 30" displays on the market. I'll not go into those details.

p.s. budget is an issue for me. if not, i would've gotten the 30" display w/o any regrets. that said, i would most likely jump on it if the 30" was/is an updated model! it wouldn't look so over-the-budget if it is a newly/recently launched model, would it? :p

15. frimple macrumors 6502

Not sure what you're asking. I think to get the iMac into display mode you need to reboot it and set it to display mode. Effectively this makes your iMac just a display that you can reboot and then use as a computer. Does that make sense?

16. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Which means that you can't use the computer while using it's display from another computer?
    Gratulations Apple! :mad:

17. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I would be concerned with the speed of exchanging GB files between the machines. 80-100 MB/s will probably be the limit considering Gigabit ethernet with CAT6 cable.

And this would require a router and network that is consistently made for gigabit. IMO the iMac doesn't have two ethernet ports.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I could not agree more!

Many times friends have called me in a panic "Ah my computers not working and I have blah blah blah due tomorrow and no stores are open to get replacement parts blah blah"

So I have them come over and use one of my many computers to finish whatever they need and then attempt to educate them on having MULTIPLE computers especially if your job/school/whatever depends on it (and I know they can afford it).

19. frimple macrumors 6502

Yes, that's my understanding. You didn't think they'd make it useful did you? :rolleyes:

20. rickpoet macrumors member

iMac 27 (i7) vs Mac Pro 2009 real world benchmarks?

Sort of thread hi-jack with apologies...

wondering if anyone has any real world benchmarks for the new i7 vs the latest model Mac Pro (quad core) for things like Photoshop?

21. Greenhoe macrumors regular

The One big issue I have using the 27in iMac as a Display is that when the Mac Pro goes to sleep and then the iMac goes to sleep 50% of the time when I wake the Mac Pro up the iMac won't come back on as a monitor and I'll have to then weak the iMac up and unplug the mini display cable and replug it back int to get the monitor hooked backed up.

22. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Must have been a moment of weakness. Sorry for that. :D

No honestly, I really thought that display and computer in the iMac are completely independent.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I also believe at the moment you can only go miniDP to miniDP…

24. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's right, but there are such cables available.

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wait till the new PRO and 30" ACD are released next year, then buy both:D