iMac 27" Mid 2010 Started Itself

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Summez, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Summez macrumors member

Summez

Hi
    My iMac started from being completely turned off by itself.
    Does anybody know why it would do this? Is it a sign of something broken?
    Thanks for the help

2. EricT43 macrumors regular

Can you explain in more detail what happened? Did you see it turn on, or was it already on when you thought it should be off? Are you sure it was off and not actually in sleep mode? Did you have a power outage or anything like that? Did you plug in a USB device or something of that nature when it turned on?

3. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Not too sure why an iMac system would start on its own - when it's not suppose to.... Perhaps it's an inner ghost thing. :confused:

Seriously... Could be from a wild UPS handshake (restart) signal, could be from a wild network handshake (restart) signal, or perhaps an inner schedule / timer thing. Not too sure why.... Hopefully, its only a "1 of" situation and doesn't happen again....

If your iMac is running SL, simply go into its System Preferences - Security - General panel and ensure a check mark is placed within "disable automatic login" box. If your iMac wants to automatically restart again (especially when you aren't near it), it cannot auto login all the way. Good security setting - until the background auto-restart reason is found...

Hope this helps...

4. Summez, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

Summez thread starter macrumors member

Summez

Thanks for the replys I was in the room using my iPhone and it just started itself with a bong then an apple logo I couldent believe it. Must be ghosts haha. It's running lion first time it has ever happened. Also it's connected to a external hard drive by USB,USB hp printer and Ethernet to a net gear wifi range extender.