iMac 27" (no TB) -> Windows laptop- am I getting this right?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Abyssgh0st, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

So I've got both a 27" iMac and a Windows gaming laptop. What I'd like to do is connect my laptop to my iMac in order to gain more screen real estate for gaming. Here are the specifics:

27" iMac: 2011 model with DisplayPort.
    Laptop: HDMI and VGA.

If I go MiniDP to HDMI adaptor -> HDMI cable -> HDMI in on laptop, will I be able to use the iMac as a display? I'm a little iffy about the possibility of doing this while the iMac is in OS X, but I also have it Boot Camped where I have much more faith that this will work.

Thanks!

2. theSeb, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The 2011 iMac has Thunderbolt. Do you have the 2010 model?

Edit: Just noticed your signature and it is the 2010 model. Since the target display mode in the 2010 models works with stuff like a PS3, then it will work with any other device, such as your windows laptop. Leave it in OS X and make it go into target display mode. There is only one problem. You need to go Laptop --> HDMI --> miniDisplayPort. There are no cheap HDMI (male) to miniDisplayport (female) adaptors. You would need a Kanex XD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kanex-HDMIM...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343036823&sr=1-1

£125
    That would be for output from the iMac, not input into the iMac. The miniDP to HDMI adaptor outputs from the miniDP port and not the other way around.