iMac (27 or 21.5) vs Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by r23w, May 14, 2011.

?

What should I do?

1. iMac 27"

50.0%
  2. iMac 21.5"

30.0%
  3. Keep Current setup and wait for 2012 macbook pro

20.0%
  4. Wait for new Mac Pros

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. r23w, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

r23w macrumors member

I am going to be a film student at BU next year and I am trying to decide what to do with my computer setup. I currently have a 17" mbp 2.8 ghz intel core two duo. I also have an iPad 2 64 gb, and iPhone 4. And I am looking to replace my macbook sometime soon. I really like the new iMacs, 27" maybe... Is that too big? And what about 3rd party secondary SSDs? If i went that route I would want to spend under $200.

I could also wait until next year to see what the macbook pro redesign looks like, but if I got a imac this summer I could sell it later on and just get a new comp. Also what about the new mac pro expected to come out?

My budget is really sub $2200.

But the essential question is will the iPad and iMac work for me in college? Or will I need a macbook pro to take to my classes. I can do most of my work on my iPad, and I can do a vnc back to my mac and have done that to get things, but I won't be able to do editing and photoshop and that junk.

Thanks.

*Update*
    Yes I would be selling my Macbook Pro if I get any new mac. And I will not sell my iPad.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. What are you planning to do with the computer?
    2. Are you going to sell your current MBP?

It is hard to help when you don't give out any needed details.

3. r23w thread starter macrumors member

1. Web-browsing, image editing - Photoshop, film editing - FCP. I need a powerful processor. I use my computer a lot. Currently my setup is my Macbook pro in my desk connected to a monitor - so right now its basically a desktop. Occasionally I bring it to classes and such, but thats hardly ever.

2. Yes I would sell my mbp.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then this boils down to how much portability do you need. If iPad can satisfy your computing needs while not at home, then I would go with the iMac. If you prefer a powerful portable computer, then take a look at the 15" MBPs. They are very powerful at the moment and would be more than fine for video editing and everything else.

5. dizzy130 macrumors member

Is BU Boston University? I ask because my best friend went there and the dorms she had were TINY and a 27" iMac would have been overwhelming in that space. Also if I remember correctly her desk always had a hutch attached that an iMac would not even come close to fitting under, meaning the iMac would have had to be almost to the front edge of her desk - not ideal for a huge 27" display. I think the MacBook Pro is a much better way to go for college, especially since many more students are using laptops in class than they were just 5 years ago when I graduated.

6. 100Teraflops, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

+1 Good Point! :)

If you have to live in the dorms for the first year, then you might not have room for the 27" iMac. The OP has to contact his or her university before one buys a 27" iMac. I voted to maintain your current setup and wait until you have at least one semester under your belt before you buy a 27" iMac. :D Of course the 21.5 is much smaller, but still not a MBP! Still, I would wait until I spent one semester at college before I bought an iMac.