iMac 27" or Mac Mini for recording music?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TappistRT, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TappistRT macrumors newbie

Hey all, kinda new to the forums.

My Core 2 Duo custom built PC is showing signs of age. I built it with gaming in mind, and now I don't seem to have the attention span to sit and play games for hours on end anymore.

I've tried running Ableton with this machine, and I've spent hours trying to deduce the DPC Latency problems my machine seems to have. Can't get rid of it to save incoming audio from having a significant amount of delay. I know that OSX doesn't have these problems.

The most demanding apps I'd use is something like Ableton or Reaper with an interface like this one:

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_18i6/

I might also do some light gaming here and there, but it won't be a primary focus. For that, I'd probably do Parallels or Boot Camp with a Windows 7 partition.

I'm looking at two options:

1. I have a 24" Asus LCD monitor, so I'm considering the base model Mac Mini. It would be an inexpensive way to upgrade my main computer, and I could still use my old pc alongside it.

2. Save up some cash and wait for the next round of 27" iMacs to be released later this year. I've thought about upgrading to a 27" display before replacing this computer altogether, and of course the machine would be much more powerful.

This wouldn't be my first exposure to a Mac. I had a G5 iMac in 2006-2008. It was a good machine, but it seems the switch to the intel processors of late have made the entire Apple line a LOT faster.

So if you had this scenario, what would you do?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Buy a better interface. Those 300.00 jobs have slow slew rates and introduce much of the latency that you think is the computer's fault. An iMac can, with right interface, get you close to 100 tracks in Logic. A Mac mini closer to 50 IF you get a faster HDD. I/O is critical and a 2.5" HDD is not the best choice for audio streams. It'll work and probably just fine for small projects but looking ahead the iMac is just a better buy for the money. Also, unless you profile that Asus display, the iMac color quality will blow it out of the water. Good for all those little plug in meters and knobs.