iMac 27" or Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Krovem, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hey everyone!

Just stopping buy and wanted to ask for some advice. I am looking to upgrade my MB to something more powerful. I decided I dont really need the laptop so that is why I want to get something like Mac Pro or iMac.

Currently I have: Macbook 13" unibody late 2008 model 2.4Ghz, 4GB, 250gb & snow leopard. Also I have the Apple LED Cinema Display. I would have to sell these to get the new Mac (where is good place to sell, ebay fees are bad).

I cant decide to get the Mac Pro Quad Core or the 27" iMac Quad Core. Like I know mac pro should last 5-7 years before it would get out dated right? How does the iMac last? Which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks for your help!
    Max

PS - in advance thank you to all responses!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mac Pro is pretty outdated atm as 27" i5 iMac is as fast, so either wait till Mac Pro update or buy iMac now.

Craigslist is pretty popular place to sell but start from your family members coworkers etc

3. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

I personally have an imac, i just love the all in one setup it packs. If I were you i'd go with the imac with an ix processor.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As with every one of these threads, the Mac you should get depends on your needs.

The iMac and the Mac Pro will last for several years, the MP is just easier to upgrade.

5. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

When do you think Mac pro would get updated? If it does. Which would you recommend then? Thanks!

6. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

What are you doing on the machine?

The new MacBook Pros "15-17" models rival the iMac.

Get a i7 15" with 8GB ram and a 500HD or 512SSD.

Apple is a MOBILE DEVICES Company now so buy a mobile device. Come next 2years Apple will have closed the gap between laptop and desktop power for the average user & professionals.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, the technology exists so it's up to Apple. Wait at least till WWDC '10, it's only few weeks away

New MBPs are still far slower than iMacs...

MBP = dual core
    iMac = quad core (~50% faster than MBP)

Plus iMac has better GPU, more RAM, bigger HDs, enormous display....

8. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

Yeah I will wait until WWDC10. Also, back to school is soon right? Might as well get a free iPod. Would my friends 15% off discount work with that? (he works at Apple Store)

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't combine education and employee discount... BTS promo should kick off in a month or so

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Didn't you answer this yourself?

11. Krovem thread starter macrumors 6502

Krovem

If you buy refurbished iMac, can you get free iPod when back to school starts?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, refurbs are not included in BTS promo, you have to get new one

13. EasyJW macrumors member

I would say the iMac as it is similarly, if not better powered [​IMG] cheaper, and you get all the peripherals in with it. the mac pros need a new update soon

14. covrc macrumors member

If Not Now, The When? i7 vs 2009 MacPro

I am looking for an idea as to how long to hold out before buying my new desktop.

I am one of those who suffered with multiple yellow screen tint i7 iMac this past winter along with airport card failures.

My G4 1.25 GHz is ready to be replaced.

Sooo, I am still too skeptical to jump back into the i7 screen issue until I see some sort of consistent excellence in screen quality.
    Which is leading me to the 2009 Mac Pro 2.6 or 2.9.

So the now or when question is,
    Do I wait for the i7 revision? or
    Do I wait for the new 2010 Mac Pro to bring down the 2009 Mac pro prices?

Both computers will meet my needs for photo and video processing. The Mac Pro is probably more muscle than I need but is more future-proof and I can avoid the screen issue.

I am willing to buy 3rd market less expensive screen in order to get into the MacPro.

Thanks for the help.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mac Pro is IMO not worth it atm unless you REALLY need it. For the same money you can get iMac with 27" screen. iMac issues are mostly solved now so just buy one know or wait till MP update if you're wanting the MP more

16. covrc macrumors member

Yellow

Miten voit? Hei, nimeni on Rocco. ;)

My concern is that I am still seeing new owners of i7's complaining of screen tint. The i7 is all the computer I need, but have my recent 3 month run of bad screens. My hope is that the revison might fix the yellow or the new 2010 MacPro will drive down the price of the older 2009 Mac Pro (which is till all the computer I will need and it is upgradeable.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Current ones won't go down by much when new ones come as it's likely that their prices goes up due more expensive CPUs. Current low-end might be 1999$ and it's currently 2149$ (refurb).

There are less and less yellow iMacs, so IMO it's a safe buy.

How much are you willing to spend anyway?

18. covrc macrumors member

$$Cap

Thanks for the reply. I cannot go much above $2500. I plan on picking up AppleCare after in order to get more computer upfront.

19. Undo macrumors member

MacBook Pro 17-inch
    2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
    $2,949
    With AppleCare ($349) $3,298

iMac 27-inch
    2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive (7200 rpm)
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB (GDDR3/4 memory)
    $2,599
    With AppleCare ($169) $2,768

Difference
    iMac is .14GHz faster
    iMac has double the Cores
    iMac has 500GB larger Drive
    iMac is $350 cheaper
    With AppleCare iMac is $530 cheaper

Given these two comparatively maxed machines, and cancelling out other equal factors like how the machines will be used, is the mobility factor the only rationale for going with the MBP, in your opinion? Just curious about what others think about the difference in specs vs price points. Thanks.

20. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You forgot that iMac's GPU will crush the 330M :rolleyes:

Currently, the i5/7 iMac is a bigger bang for your buck if portability ain't needed. IMO i5 iMac + iPad/MacBook is best combo to go. 17" i7 is nice but not as portable as iPad/MacBook nor as fast as iMac. Of course if power is needed while on go, MBP is the only choice but I really like iMac, the screen is just brilliant

21. Undo macrumors member

You're right. :p I hadn't even considered the performance difference between the two GPU's.

It's strange that the iMac is better spec'ed than the MBP, yet cheaper. I must be missing something.