iMac 27" or MacBook 15"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Neeliosis, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Neeliosis macrumors regular

Neeliosis

I've been thinking of this for quite a while, and I just can't decide. The MacBook Pro was refreshed a few months ago, so I'm guessing that there's not gonna be a refresh for a while. And the iMac 27" just looks so sexy! You get more for the money with all that stuff it comes with. I'm gonna be using both at home. I'm more on the iMac side. I need your advice!

2. Solaris5 macrumors newbie

3. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

No one but Apple knows when products will be refreshed. Buy what makes the most sense to you now. You can also check the buyer's guide in this forum for an educated guess at refresh time lines.

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

do you need portability? that's the decider! The iMac is better value for money in terms of power

5. iFel macrumors newbie

If you need portability, buy the macbook pro but I think you already answered your question with the iMac. ;)

6. Scorecard macrumors member

If you don't need portability it's a no brainer it's the iMac 27. I'm on the road a lot so an iMac doesn't suit my needs, a MBP 15 i7 is perfect for me as I can still get the computing power I need in a compact form.

I would definitely go for the i7 over the i5 iMac. The hyperthreading over the i5 is worth it. A new iMac probably won't come out for a few months, my guess is end of Sept/early Oct. Apple has so many launches and releases with the iPhone 4 and iPad still that it may slow their launch on the new iMacs. Especially since a Mac Pro update was rumored for end of June and we are now in July.

So if you can wait that long then do, (I did for the MBP) if not the current iMac is still a powerful and capable machine.

7. re2st macrumors regular

If you like the iMac form factor, you should wait. Refresh is most probably coming soon. But if you like the MacBook Pro form factor, there's no better time to buy but now.

8. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

The mobile i7 in the MBP is also dual core like the i5, instead of being a true quadcore like the desktop line of i7's.