iMac 27 or MacMini+TV+gaming desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yinmay, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Yinmay, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Yinmay macrumors regular

Hi I'm moving to a new place and could use some help deciding. I occasionally game (e.g. GTA IV, Fallout New Vegas) and watch movies and TV shows on the internet.

Option A: $2000 iMac 27 with 6970M (is the SSD option really worth it? at $600 it's hard for me to afford).
    Pros: less space consuming, clean simple setup, all in one place.
    Cons: screen too small to use as a living room TV?

Option B: Mac Mini $600 + Dell $800 + TV $600 = $2000
    Mini hooked to the TV in the living room and Dell desktop with Radeon 6770 in the bedroom. I already have a screen for the tower and a keyboard/mouse for the mini.
    Pros: Bigger TV screen. Can watch internet videos in bed. Can still use the computer if guests are watching TV.
    Cons: higher electricity bill? Would have to buy a media console for the living room and a desk for the bedroom.

Note: the Apple TV is not an option because I watch many French TV shows only available through Flash player on the channels' websites.

Which would you choose and why? Can you think of any other pros and cons for either option? Thanks!

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

If this was for a bedroom setup, it would be good for the iMac option but a 27 inch is too small IMO for a living room.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'd choose the iMac, but I prefer an all in one solution, and am not a big gamer. If gaming is really important to you I would go for the other option.