iMac 27" or rMBP 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yabot, Jun 26, 2013.

1. yabot macrumors regular

i currently have a 2010 13inch macbook pro, it still seves me very well, but i want something new now.

i am at university and only really use my laptop for online browsing, word powerpoint etc and some geomapping (arcmap gis), i also like gaming (bf3, bf4 when it comes out).

i'd like to know whether it would be better to get a 27inch imac and keep the MBP, or get the 15inch rmbp, i really like the 13inch form factor so am going to miss that if i go for the imac but ohwell. obviously waiting for haswell refresh etc.

2. TofSanity, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

if your MB is still working for you go with the 27" iMac.
    Or get the 15" rMBP and then a Thunderbolt display down the road if you find you need portability again.

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

If your 13" works fine for what you need when you're portable then I'd also go with the iMac, you get a great display and a bit better GPU so it'll work better for gaming.

Either one is a fine choice, though, as they're both great units.

4. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

As a current 27" iMac owner wanting a 13" rMBP here's my take:

The iMac is too stationary.. if I want to work on the patio, couch, or coffee shop, I can't and it's horrible to be stuck to the desk. As well, the 27" is very nice 80% of the time, but the other 20% it's too big! To much screen for working!

I'm in the process of getting a rMBP (waiting for updates), and if I ever think "well this screens to small for this task" I'll save for the Thunderbolt display, and dock it at my desk for those times. Well worth the extra money to have the portability and options.

For gaming, I'm not sure about FPS, but RTS games like starcraft, again 27" is too much screen, too much mouse-and-eye movement required to play well.. For email/powerpoint/browsing, either computer is just fine.

5. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Agree with your points except for gaming, gaming on an apple machine is pointless unless you are the most casual of gamers

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would definitely go with the iMac. You'll love having the best of both worlds, a nice desktop for at home and a nice laptop for on the go.

7. yabot thread starter macrumors regular

exactly what i was thinking, i like being able to move around abit as im quite fidgety, however if im really into a game i'll stay put for hours.

i also agree with you that the 27inch screen FOR ME is a little too big, i much prefer the 21inch form factor, just wish it was more powerful!! 15inch i could probably cope with as its only around the house and Uni every so often i'll have to lug it too.

i'm gonna pray for a decent or better than now gpu in the 21inch then perhaps get that, as long as it runs bf and ArcMap for me well then its all gravy, if not then i'll just flip a coin.

8. Hildegerd macrumors regular

Hildegerd

Get the iMac 27", your laptop will serve you a couple of years more.

9. DarkoDonnie macrumors member

DarkoDonnie

pfff. my mid 2011 iMac (i7, 12gb ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1gb) is a monster, highest rendering and still getting killer fps. never once lagged. I'm at least two tiers above casual and it's awesome. except the screens too big. obviously game select is crappy, but I only play starcraft2 so, its perfect.

anyways @yabot I assumed you would be trading in your current macbook for a new machine, not keeping it. if so, the other two posters are right, the macbook will serve you well for some time, so best of both worlds.

10. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

11. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I use both. Pop in an ssd in the 2010 macbook pro. Then, buy an 27" late 2009 (not the 3.06 core 2 duo) or mid 2010 iMac and install an 120Gb Samsung SSD as well.

Use dropbox to manage your files. Easiest thing ever.

.. Or not. I would choose the rMBP 15 as I love it.

12. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You only play 1 game, you made my point haha

13. EricT43 macrumors regular

I used to own a 27" iMac and 13" MBP. After a while I got sick of having two computers, having to install software on both machines, sync files, etc. And while the iMac was great at home, when I travelled, I wasn't happy with the 13" MBP screen and poor graphics performance.

So I sold both machines and bought a 15" rMBP and a Thunderbolt display. The 15" rMBP is an awesome machine on it's own. The screen isn't that much bigger than the 13", but those extra 2" make a huge difference IMO. And the graphics performance is almost as good as my 2011 iMac's.

BTW, I don't buy the statement that Mac's are not for serious gamers. Sure, you might need to turn down the detail in comparison to a gaming PC, but it runs games just fine. When you're seriously playing, you don't notice the eye candy anyway. I play Starcraft 2 every day on high settings and it runs great. And for everything other than gaming, Mac is much better IMO.

14. kaellar macrumors 6502

My brain is ruined by posts like this. You love 13" form factor, but choose between 15" (mobile use) and 27" (desktop use)? Man, the choise itself isn't your biggest problem, for sure.

15. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

^^^THIS^^^

The wife and I just transitioned from each having a laptop and desktop to each having a more powerful laptop and sharing an ATD. We much prefer the latter. It's far more efficient to have 1 computer each rather than 2 and the current ATD is super easy to dock (just attach the TB cable & power cable and slide it into the stand). And unless your doing some leading edge professional level data processing, the MBP lineup really has all the power you'll likely need.

__