iMac 27" OS X 10.6.8

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sparky1959, Jul 18, 2016.

1. sparky1959 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I have an iMac that I aquired from a family member that has sadly passed on, I have never had anything to do with apple before however I'm extremely good with windows, I'm try to set this iMac back to factory settings so it can be sold for my grandmother, there is no back up discs, no back up partion on the hard drive, I have tried when booting up holding down command-r and all I get with this is the one operating system hard drive, nothing else and I have confirmed there is no back up partion on the hard drive, so I have tried booting into an internet recovery command-option-r but to no avail. like I have said there is no back up or orginal DVD's etc, any help would be much appreciated, I need to reset this Please.

iMac 27"
    i5 CPU
    8 Gig RAM
    1 TB hard drive.

Kind Regards

Sahun

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Unless you have the original DVD for Snow Leopard (10.6.8), there isn't an immediate way to reinstall the OS. As such, I'd recommend the following:

1) Go into OS X and open the App Store
    2) Update to the latest OS (10.11.5, called El Capitan). It will be a free download and is definitely compatible with your iMac.
    3) Once it's updated and installed the latest OS, you will then be able to hold CMD+R on startup. You will see a recovery partition.
    4) Boot into that and format the drive through Disk Utility. Then select 'Reinstall OS X'.

So you'll have a clean install of the latest OS if you follow the instructions above.

If you want a clean install of Snow Leopard, then you'll have to acquire a disk image and mount it to USB, and boot from that.

3. sparky1959 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I'll see how I go, appreciate your time. Will let you know, Cheers
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2016 ---
    Sorry could you please give me instructions on how to go into OS X to open app store ?? Thanks

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You can search for App Store within the operating system. You'll see a magnifying glass at the top-right, which you can click to search.

Otherwise you can find it in the Applications folder.

5. sparky1959 thread starter macrumors newbie