iMac 27, PC, and Home Server living together?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gadgetware, Dec 30, 2012.

1. gadgetware macrumors newbie

Wanted to get some advice on my future computing plans. I currently have a PC, a MBA, and a Windows Home Server (for storage/backups). The WHS just died but I was able to save the drives. I'm thinking of buying an 27" iMac and converting my PC into a Win8 Windows Home Server
    (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/windows/windows_8_home_server_guide)

I will use the iMac as my primary machine but still occasionally need a Windows box around for some specific tasks. I would really like to be able to use the iMac as a display for the PC but I understand that it's unlikely that I will be able to do so without switching out the motherboard to one with a TB display port.

I won't be gaming or doing anything graphics intensive on the PC so can I just use the Remote Desktop Connection to log into the win8 box when I need to do something on Windows? Seems better than running a windows VM or bootcamp.

I've had my last monitor for 6 years, but gone through many PCs so my only reluctance on buying the iMac is that the monitor is tied to the processing hardware. If either the monitor or MB dies, the whole thing is a brick.

2. painless6505 macrumors newbie

Just use Remote Desktop to windows server, don't bother with a screen for it. I run my file server completely headless, no mouse/kb/monitor.

3. NVRENUF! macrumors regular

NVRENUF!

WHS. Team viewer or remote desktop no problems.

Other wise get rid of all those windows computers and get a NAS
    much better power wise to leave running all the time , better apps
    for use out of the house.
    and setup as raid for protection of data

4. iLondoner macrumors 6502

iLondoner

I replaced our Windows Server 2003 with a NAS drive (ReadyNAS Duo) about two years ago. Works just fine.

Now moving most of our Windows stuff across to a mix of one iMac (which will effectively be the master machine) and a couple of MacBook Airs. I have Parallels Desktop running Windows XP on the iMac and one of the MacBooks, and I also have Windows 7 in a Bootcamp setup on the MacBook.

Backup is going to a Time Capsule on the network.

Coordinating fast moving files across the various platforms using Dropbox which runs on Macs, Windows, iPhone and iPad.

5. painless6505 macrumors newbie

Or better yet, convert whs to a FreeNAS server. You'll thank me.

6. gadgetware thread starter macrumors newbie

That's probably my 2nd choice. I want to be able to stream movies to my Apple TV which means I need to be able to run iTunes, which requires osX or windows. I know I could just relay them through the iMac but that I'm not sure I'll have the iMac on all of the time.

I'll probably start with Win8 and then switch to something else later. Eventually I'd like to get rid of all of my windows gear!

Now I'm considering a mac mini instead of the iMac since I already have a 24" monitor and don't want to worry about the all-in-one upgrade issues.

Thanks for all of the comments!