iMac 27" Permanently remove glass?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jqc, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jqc macrumors regular

Just curious has anyone removed the glass on their imac and just left it off? Ive been developing the cloudy screen issue on mine and since some say its because of condensation buildup, i was thinking of just permanently leaving the screen off to solve the issue.

Are there any drawbacks to this?

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Besides the obvious drawback of potentially damaging your screen, no. People do this to reduce glare from the glass panel.

3. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Dresevski, but what do you mean potentially damage? it will of course be sitting on a desk stationary, so are you referring to the potential like any other screen (I throw a pencil at my imac) or something specific to the imac?

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

The coating on the display is incredibly soft and easy to scratch, it's not designed to be exposed. I don't even like handling them during repair because they scratch so easily.

I'd recommend you look into an anti-glare coating. They do make them for 27" iMacs but they must be a nightmare to properly apply.

5. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Removing the glass panel will not have any adverse affect on the lcd itself as MOST lcd monitors are exposed anyways. Apple just places a Glass over it to make it look cleaner while other manufactures place a plastic black benzel around the edges only. The only thing you would have to be careful for is the electronics that you are leaving exposed on the edges.

6. yubbie2 macrumors newbie

7. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

Is it any softer than any other exposed LCD? The reason for leaving it off is not to reduce the glare necessarily but to reduce the condensation issue

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

No it's not. Same type of material any LCD is made out of. Actually Apple/MAC does not make it. It's supplied by Samsung I believe anyways.

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

In that case, the glass is not necessarily the problem. Is your iMac in a particularly humid environment? My iMac is in an unfinished basement in a rather humid area of the country, and I've never seen condensation on either side of the glass; the normal heat from the iMac is enough to keep it nice and dry.

10. Dresevski macrumors 6502

It is weird to think that you have condensation on the inside. It's not the prettiest look but it should be fine without glass.

And yes, I meant like if you threw a pencil on it. No normal environment will deteriorate it or anything. I wiped mine down vigorously with a large microfiber cloth after removing the panel...it's fine

11. jqc thread starter macrumors regular

im not sure if its condensation or not but from reports on the internet (google "imac cloudy screen") may speculate its condensation or smoking, etc. I live in an apt so it sits by the open kitchen, i suppose heat/steam from cooking may have gotten between glass and screen. I dont smoke. Its also by the AC and windows so that may have had an effect.

BTW I dont buy the seemingly common response of "dont smoke around it" - I dont and "dont put it in a humid environment". These computers should work in any reasonable environment, if they get messed up because of humid environments Apple would not be able to sell these machines in half the world!