Imac 27" power button needs pressure to turn on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by daytrade, Nov 30, 2009.

1. daytrade macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just got a replacement imac 27 stock C2D yesterday for a defective one I had earlier, however, I couldn't get this new one to turn on till just a few hours ago. I just figured out the power button needs quite of bit of pressure to turn on. Seemingly just pressing it until it clicks isn't enough. Should this be looked at or is this normal? I didn't have this problem on my previous defective imac 27. Kinda weird. Thanks in advance.

2. hakr macrumors regular

Rolling defects...sheesh...:rolleyes:

3. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

ya definitely doesn't sound right, it shouldn't take that kind of force to turn on, I would definitely get it looked at by Apple.

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, I would have Apple fix the button or get another replacement iMac from Apple.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Request a replacement. That's one hell of a repair, the Apple Store would replace the entire back casing (which requires taking EVERYTHING out and rebuilding your poor machine) to fix the power button.

Replacement will (hopefully) be easier and quicker. And if you get three defective computers in a row then it's official policy for Steve Jobs or Jonathan Ive (your choice!) to meet you for lunch. :D

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Mine does the exact same thing, its the reason I thought my i7 iMac was DOA until I discovered the power button required a bit more pressure than just pressing gently until it clicked.

Personally it should power up when it clicks, but it's a relatively minor detail since the power button rarely gets used so I'm going to hold on to the system. It's a lot of hassle returning the system and waiting a long time on a replacement for what is (to me) a relatively minor issue.

7. downhill macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my iMac 27 i5 which I purchased 2 days ago. I was so excited when I put it on the desk, I plugged it in, pressed the on button and .... nothing.. I thought this was a joke! I tried repeatedly, until I managed to turn it on with both fingers and extreme pressure.
    to make my day even better, the aluminum keyboard is bent slightly upwards on the left side, which results in a terribly annoying noise when I type, because there is a gap between the lower left corner and the desk...
    I'm taking it back right? I didn't expect this from Apple...