iMac 27 Price Drop on Sep 24

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anfield007, Sep 24, 2013.

1. anfield007 macrumors newbie

Hey guys. Long-time lurker. Ever since I got my MBP I've been a big fan of apple related computers. Been interested in the 27 iMac for a while. With today's release of the upgraded iMacs, I was glad to see the price drop of the refurbished 2011 27 iMac, to $1149. Here are the refurbished iMac's specs, as taken from the Canadian Apple website:

Originally released May 2011
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

I really don't want to spend 2k on a new iMac. So I have been looking at the refurbs. What I intend to use it for: word processing, web browsing, no video editing or photography, watching movies & TV shows, and running other university related material which might require some software (again, no video, photo editing or anything that I believe is really demanding).

I love the screen of the 27 iMac. Thing is, I'm only saying that based on the 2012 iMacs that I can see at stores. Do the 2011 iMacs look just as good in terms of screen resolution, etc (I also don't know about the whole widescreen vs IPS technology thing).

Would you also really recommend the 2011 iMac @ $1149?

I'm a student so budgeting is important.

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

The screens on the older iMacs are beautiful and are the same panels are what you would find in both of Apple's 27" monitors (Thunderbolt and Cinema). The only gripe that people sometimes make is the glare from the screens (if you have a non-retina or non-hi res screen, you know what this is).

At the price it's a great machine and will carry you for a few years if you're not doing anything graphically or processor intensive. Do note that the older the machine you buy, the shorter life span it might have with Apple's latest tricks and software, but I imagine this machine is good for at least a few more years.

All in all, its a good machine a a good price. I had the 21.5" model and it was great. Unless you don't need the 27" screen, this is a good choice for you I think.

3. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

What you could do is buy a wireless keyboard and mouse, a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and hook your MBP up to a display. With a budget of $1000 you could get a super nice 27" Dell, I forgot the model number but it's around $400-$500 and is excellent. You then have $500 left over that you could use to maybe upgrade your pro instead. $500 buys a speedy and large ssd, 512 gb maybe? You would see an insane speed increase and you could also upgrade your ram. Seeing as how it would be mainly used for normal browsing and the like, I don't see what the advantage would be of getting an iMac besides just getting an iMac.

4. anfield007 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn the 2011 imac is no longer available :(

I think they wont be anymore available anymore

5. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

problem solved!