iMac 27" (quad core) - buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JonnyUK, Dec 29, 2009.

1. JonnyUK macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new iMac 27" (quad core) but was advised to wait until the upcoming announcements in January before purchasing.

Unfortunately in the UK the tax/vat rate will increase from 15% to 17.5% which means if I wait, I will end up paying a fair bit more for nothing.

Is it likely that any updates/upgrades will be announced for the current iMac 27" range? Should I wait or should I just go ahead and buy now? I thought it probably wouldn't be affected as it hasn't been long since the last update and the MacRumours buying guide suggests now is a good time to buy, but just thought I should reach out for some more opinions on this?

I am only concerned about the iMac ( not the MacBook / MacBook pro etc. )

Any comments on this will be much appreciated!

Cheers.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

There is a 95% chance that the iMac won't see an update in January. They just updated it in the fall. The rumored January announcement will be about the iSlate, iPhone, iPod touch, or MacBook Pro/Air.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

No, theres a 100% chance. Not. Going. To. Happen.

4. JonnyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies, pretty much confirmed my thoughts.

Does anyone know when in January these announcements are likely to take place, or is that just completely uncertain?

5. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

Im from UK aswell.. and when the VAT was cut to 15% Apple amended their prices to keep all products the same price ... not passing on any cuts to the customer. So i dont think that the prices will increase on January 1st

So your not paying anymore anyway

6. JonnyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah right, well that's handy to know, thanks!

7. nuke123 macrumors newbie

8. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I'd wait, wait and just keep waiting. There's supposed to be 31" 128-core i32 iMac in Fall 2013.

9. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    The event is taking place on January 26.

10. JonnyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, you make a good point. I've been waiting to get a new computer for years, silly really - you just shouldn't wait too long as technology moves so quickly, no doubt something better is always just around the corner!

Anyway, I've bought it now, can't wait - no really, have to wait 2 weeks delivery, torture!!!

Thanks for your help guys.

11. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

So no one thinks the 21.5" iMacs will get the i5/i7 option in January?

12. JonnyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good point, though you might be better off posting a new thread about that as this was specifically about the 27" iMac.

13. TheAshMan macrumors regular

I would wait if you can...

Yes these are awesome machines, but my bet is by next August they will add some great hardware options that are significant advances. Advances likes the next generation of Firewire (3.2Gbps), USB 3, or light peak are coming in 2010 (light peak probably later). They may even offer a SSD option for the iMac or add Blu-Ray. If your current machine works fine for you, time flies and you will be glad you waited.

The next FW and USB 3 will make external storage as fast as an internal drive. Yes, USB 3 is supposed to be faster than FW, but throughput will be limited by traditional disks technology. Maybe Macs will have both or even eSata which is just as fast and out there now.

Wait, my friend.

14. kmstiger macrumors newbie

You can get the Quad Core i5 for 1794.00 from macmall.com after a $200 rebate.

15. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Very unlikely they can adequately deal with the heat of those processors.

16. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

don't bother waiting, there was updates only a few months ago, there won't be anything new [​IMG]

17. declandio macrumors 6502

That is unbelievably greedy of them...

18. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

Ohh well... its cheeky but not against the law. Companies weren't bound into keeping their prices the same (ex-VAT) so that the total price would go down... perhaps the money they pocketed went into developing the tablet :p

19. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Nope, because they were just updated in October. And even with the next refresh, I doubt they're getting an i5/i7, Apple would want you to get the more expensive and more profitable 27" iMac for that.