iMac 27 ram upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Drask, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Drask, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

Drask macrumors regular

So my iMac should be arriving withing next week, my question is: I order the 4 gb one ( cheapest 27" for 1700), it comes with 2 x2 gb ram, i want to upgrade to at least 8 gb bcuz ill be working with photoshop, xcode etc.

Should i get 2x4 gb for around $40-50 and get rid of the 2x2gb installed? or should i just install the other two and get 12 gb? Not sure if its even compatible or recommended to have different sizes of ram in the same computer.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

More RAM = Good.

It's fine to mix different sizes of RAM. I have 2 x 4GB modules and 2 x 2GB modules and it works great :)

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Order the 4gb base from Apple, but DON'T buy their RAM....Crucial, Newegg, anybody else will provide you with memory far cheaper. I ordered my iMac with 8GB, but upgraded to 16 soon after purchase.

It's easy to do, will not void your warranty and Apple even tell you how to do it in the manual that comes with your iMac.

4. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Not to be rude or something, but, did you even read what i wrote?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sorry...Late night, my bad.

I think if it were me I would buy with 8GB (2x4)....Leaving you the option to upgrade later....Having said that you could sell the 2x2GB and start afresh....I actually don't know if Apple will sell you a machine sans memory, but would be interested if they do. Can't see it though...It would leave them wide open I think.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Why not keep the 2 x 2GB modules and install more RAM in the additional slots. Then if/when the OP needs more RAM they can remove the 2 x 2GB modules and install more.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True, very few need 16GB...:)

8. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

I heard that if u don't use the 16gb ram it can potentially slow down your computer against an 8 gb ram because it has to search for memory all over the 16 gb instead of the 8 gb, is that true on Macs? (or even windows?)

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have never heard that before. RAM access speed is so quick, latency should not be a problem.

10. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

I'm getting a refurb 27" 3.4 2011 model delivered in a couple of days and as I'm planning on keeping it for a long time and the 27" can take 32GB of ram I would suggest getting a single 8GB module and leave the 2x2 for a total of 12GB, then just keep adding 8GB cards as the price drops, they are a lot dearer than 2x4GB at the moment but after searching all day I found one in Australia (where I am) for $80 so I'm going to get two of those for a total of 20GB. And then max it out to 32GB when they get a bit cheaper.

currently $125 for an 8GB from OWC but only $80 here So the prices are coming down real fast.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Way, way back in the day....Today's RAM is so fast that latency is a non issue.