iMac 27 Retina or Mini with 34" Curved?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrison600, Mar 31, 2016.

1. chrison600 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've been working for years with a MacBook Pro 15 primarily used as a desktop with two 24 inch monitors flanking the sides. I've decided to make the MacBook my dedicated portable and build a true desktop environment. I have already purchased an iMac 27 Retina which should be delivered today, but last night discovered that another option would be a Mac Mini with a 34 inch curved external monitor. I would really like some advice and opinions as to which might be the better choice.

I can add details regarding my work/play needs as you wish. Probably of core interest is that I am not a graphics professional. I use my desktop environment for running a wholesale/retail business and for casual Internet use. Most of the time I have 4 or more spreadsheets open, a many tabbed browser, a few PDF or image files, couple of Finder windows, a Word doc or two, etc. I do use Photoshop and Illustrator for things like product photo adjustment and resizing, logo creation and edits, etc. Mostly it's day to day business operations stuff.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If the 34 inch model is a 21:9 aspect ratio like I think it is, it is great to have 3 separate windows running side by side and not have anything squished. You can even have 6 windows with two rows. You need to sit in the correct spot to get the benefit of the curve, otherwise you can save a bit and get a flat screen. The iMac has a much sharper screen (retina) and better colours, but it can't fit as much.
    One screen at 3440x1440 should work for the Mini, based on some Googling. In the worst case it will run at 50 Hz but it shouldn’t come to that. Check first The iMac goes up to 3840x2160 on the base model and 4096x2304 on the others so it will be guaranteed to work.

Assuming you are fine with the performance difference of the Mini, you are essentially deciding on the screen. Both can use two screens, its just that the iMac can do more.

3. iceman42 macrumors regular

i have a mac mini with a samsung 34inch curved monitor and it runs great.