Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Hi! I've asked a similar question before but have to get advice again as I'm not too happy with my original choice.

Originally I bought dual 27 TB's and a maxed out rMBP 15". The setup has been good except there are inherit issues with TB and macbooks that will not get fixed anytime soon (they've existed since the first release of TB). Basically plugging in laptop sometimes makes keyboard unusable, sometimes the screens never turns on, and often (which causes loss of work) the rMBP kernel panics and reboots altogether. There are threads and threads about this, but no one seems to have a fix.

Because of these issues I keep the rMBP mostly stationary at my desk, but the work I do really eats memory and pushes the processor (imagine 3-4 hungry virtual machines running at the same time in parallels). The rMBP handles them very well, minus fans turning on at full speed, but it's not that often (nowhere near the original classic 15 anyway which just drove me up the wall)

But I'm getting tired of having to restore vm's because they get corrupted when the mac decides to bomb out connecting to a TB display. So I was thinking...

Keep current setup and just wait until apple fixes it. Pros: Everything with me always, Cons: one point of failure, if laptop breaks or gets lost all work ceases which will be a catastrophe

or....

Buy a topped out iMac, hook up the second display and sell the the other TB display (three is too much, already tried). And also buy either an air or an rMBP 13" as a supplement remote-in laptop or backup if the iMac ever breaks (keeping the 15 won't work as it's too expensive).

I considered the Mac Pro 6-core. I know it's outdated, but anytime saved is a lot of $$$ for the work I do that's why cost isn't too much of an issue as long as it's not just thrown away. But it seems the new iMac for the most part outperforms it in many areas. Obviously I'm not a newbie and know how to save $$ by buying 3-rd party memory, etc.

So need help. How much faster is the iMac (with 768gb ssd) as opposed to the rMBP. And which would you choose? I know it's preference, but I've been beating my head over this a while now.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Hi! I've asked a similar question before but have to get advice again as I'm not too happy with my original choice.

Originally I bought dual 27 TB's and a maxed out rMBP 15". The setup has been good except there are inherit issues with TB and macbooks that will not get fixed anytime soon (they've existed since the first release of TB). Basically plugging in laptop sometimes makes keyboard unusable, sometimes the screens never turns on, and often (which causes loss of work) the rMBP kernel panics and reboots altogether. There are threads and threads about this, but no one seems to have a fix.

Because of these issues I keep the rMBP mostly stationary at my desk, but the work I do really eats memory and pushes the processor (imagine 3-4 hungry virtual machines running at the same time in parallels). The rMBP handles them very well, minus fans turning on at full speed, but it's not that often (nowhere near the original classic 15 anyway which just drove me up the wall)

But I'm getting tired of having to restore vm's because they get corrupted when the mac decides to bomb out connecting to a TB display. So I was thinking...

Keep current setup and just wait until apple fixes it. Pros: Everything with me always, Cons: one point of failure, if laptop breaks or gets lost all work ceases which will be a catastrophe

or....

Buy a topped out iMac, hook up the second display and sell the the other TB display (three is too much, already tried). And also buy either an air or an rMBP 13" as a supplement remote-in laptop or backup if the iMac ever breaks (keeping the 15 won't work as it's too expensive).

I considered the Mac Pro 6-core. I know it's outdated, but anytime saved is a lot of $$$ for the work I do that's why cost isn't too much of an issue as long as it's not just thrown away. But it seems the new iMac for the most part outperforms it in many areas. Obviously I'm not a newbie and know how to save $$ by buying 3-rd party memory, etc.

So need help. How much faster is the iMac (with 768gb ssd) as opposed to the rMBP. And which would you choose? I know it's preference, but I've been beating my head over this a while now.

The best 27" iMac will be *much* more powerful than a 15" rMBP. I'd recommend an iMac + 13" rMBP. This way you will get power and portability.

A 15" rMBP is better than a 13" rMBP, but you won't get anywhere near the power you would with an iMac.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
The best 27" iMac will be *much* more powerful than a 15" rMBP. I'd recommend an iMac + 13" rMBP. This way you will get power and portability.

A 15" rMBP is better than a 13" rMBP, but you won't get anywhere near the power you would with an iMac.

Ya I think you are right. I just dont like the idea of an all-in-one and wondering if the mac pro is still worth the investment in any shape way or form.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
Sounds like wont happen until end of 2013. That's a bit of time/money lost to wait. I mean once its released, I'll sell current and immediately buy the newer version.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
reading at your needs, sounds like imac+rmbp is the right way to go.
maybe if you can get refurb previous imac for the lower price. so that way you won't feel bad buying AIO. but the imac is still quite powerful compare to current mac pro.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
reading at your needs, sounds like imac+rmbp is the right way to go.
maybe if you can get refurb previous imac for the lower price. so that way you won't feel bad buying AIO. but the imac is still quite powerful compare to current mac pro.

Yeah I think getting the mac pro would be silly. But getting the imac would carry the inherit problems of why I'm not 100% sure of the rMBP. IE one point of failure. Any problem = new computer = expensive downtime. I've been using the rMBP as portable machine more often this week instead of keeping it at the desk and maybe it's time to let go of the "need" for desktop. It's fast, it works, and I can have it be a desktop anytime I want with dual 27's. I appreciate everyone's comments, and I guess for the most part it's nice to just think and talk about this all.

Last edited:

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
So after spending so much time agonizing, I decided to stick with rMBP + dual TB's. Portability is nice to have. While not fully necessary, having it might be worth everything. And who knows, maybe haswell will allow 32gb of memory. That would be incredible.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
rMBP 15 all the way.

Just make sure you get the 16GB model.

It becomes an iMac when you get a monitor/keyboard combination but you'll NEVER be short on power on the road. And she's light too, trust me.

I'm considering selling my 13 Classic and going with a Retina.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
rMBP 15 all the way.

Just make sure you get the 16GB model.

It becomes an iMac when you get a monitor/keyboard combination but you'll NEVER be short on power on the road. And she's light too, trust me.

I'm considering selling my 13 Classic and going with a Retina.

You are totally right. And daisy chain dual 27's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.