IMac 27 sales suspended at Amazon

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ratpackjj, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ratpackjj macrumors member

Been looking to get a one and noticed this today.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iMac-MC...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313780836&sr=1-2

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

3. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

Well, after doing full software clones on 30 new iMacs 27" for my Uni's Art Lab, we've been notified that that they're all being recalled for Hard Drive replacement. This may or may not have something to do with it atm.

4. iMacJunkie macrumors regular

Didn't they already have a recall on imacs for hard drives before?

Any info as to which hard drives are being affected?

I just took delivery of a 27" yesterday and hope that mine's not affected.

5. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

To be honest I'm not sure, the office got the call today and called me to come in on Tuesday. I know they're the stock 1tb drive and they took delivery in mid July. I have to go in and see. We may cross our fingers and have them swapped out on site during winter break if it doesn't seem too bad, as some classes are starting late next week and we really don't have time for this! I won't know more till Tuesday. If I can we'll be screaming backup! every 30 seconds till Dec 16, then having them swapped. As long as the drive death doesn't keep the unit from booting, we can boot from an external clone if needed, and call for repair. I'm hoping they hold up though.

6. ratpackjj thread starter macrumors member

The Imac is now once again available on Amazon.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

.... from the .... iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program page at Apple's website

8. Oldschoolwax macrumors member

Funny, we've only had a few problems, getting ready to have them all swapped out. We were told by Apple that it is not a question of if, but when, which is true of all drives, but they seemed very sure of wanting them out asap. Being that we upgraded to Lion we need to do all our clones from the install disk because of Apples new "no cloning from the active drive" trick. Annoying, but on the bright side, all our screens are great (other than the fact that the damned students keep putting their dirty hands on the glass!) So in the end not too much of a hassle. Though when dealing in bulk it would have been nice if Apple cloned the drives under Apple care as well.