Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
I have a screen protector on my Macbook pro and I like it because I don't want the actual screen to get dusty. Does anyone have a screen protector on their imac? Is this necessary?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I haven't heard of anyone using one, but I bet they exist. If you think about it you don't see them in offices (although you used to get a few anti-glare screens, less so now). Most people would use their laptop out and about in a harsher environment.

I don't use one but I clean my screen from time to time (I'm probably a bit lazy tbh and should do it more often).

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I'd suggest just use a microfibre cloth to clean it when you sneeze would be more effective.
As iMacs are now retina screens, if there is a slight reduction in display quality from the screen protector, you'll notice it quickly.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hmm...
A screen protector would pick up dust, too...
The bare screen surface is glass, and not particularly easy to scratch, if that's your concern.

If you leave your iMac unattended for days at a time, then it wouldn't hurt to cover the iMac with a simple sleeve of some kind. It would be simple to put together something that would slip over the top of the screen to keep those evil dust-bunnies at bay.
That's not something that I have ever used on an iMac in more than 20 years of Macs, although I have had a couple of service customers that used something that they found, like an old "toaster cozy" :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't want the actual screen to get dusty.
Dust will still accumulate on the screen, regardless if there's an additional plastic film sitting on the display.

Does anyone have a screen protector on their imac?
A screen protector protects the screen from damage, i.e., scratches. There's no reason to touch the display of the iMac so there's really no need for such. You obviously need to be careful cleaning it, but that doesn't mean you should install a screen protector

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.