imac 27" SSD decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thegoat, Aug 13, 2011.

1. thegoat macrumors newbie

I recently just bought a new imac 27" with the 256gb ssd that comes with Apple. Would it be worth returning my imac and reorder it with the standard 1tb HD and install a 128gb vertex 3 and save $2-300? Would this be too much of a hassle? Is there really that much of a big difference between the speed of the Apple SSD vs the Vertex 3?

2. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

No!!!!!!!!!!!. The SSD is a great addition to your purchase. I have been running one in my early 2009 iMac 24, and would not even think of going without it. If you do you will see a huge speed change in both startup and loading of files. Cannot see any reason to change it out.:)

3. thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still going to have an SSD either way, read my post again.

4. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

I think you should keep it the way it is and invest in an external drive to save your data.

5. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

+1. That would be the best option....

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I ordered the SSD + 1TB HDD and it comes on Tuesday. Personally while the extra $600 was steep and I could have saved $$ with a self installed SSD, I wouldn't want to crack my machine open, deal with the install hassles, etc for $200 or so in savings.

7. ben2e macrumors member

DIY is Not worth the cost savings

Despite the fact that people have done it successfully, I'd avoid opening it up. It's $600 extra to pay Apple but a 256Gig SSD is $450 at least and if you want the hard disk in there too, you'll have to remove the motherboard which is NOT fun or risk free. The plugs into it are tiny and fragile. Even if you're successful, it'll take you several hours. If you know someone nearby who has done it, great. I did it and would not do it again. I hate the extra cost and upgraded my drive before (HDD only) but the motherboard removal part sucks. I'm also not sure my screen will ever be quite as pristine.

8. tobypb macrumors member

theres been a lot of discussion about whether or not you would see any performance gain from having a faster SSD and every conclusion I've read is that it would be negligible

9. cpalmer03 macrumors newbie

Are you talking about the difference in the Apple SSD or installing your own? Does anyone know what drive apple uses when they say SSD on the website. I feel like there is really no difference from the SATA drive read write speeds?

10. sth macrumors 6502a

Apple uses a Toshiba-based SSD in the iMac.
    It's not the latest and greatest in terms of SSD technology (SATA II, 34nm flash AFAIK) but should be pretty reliable on the other hand. Still way faster than a conventional HDD.

And it's performance you actually notice every time you use your computer (as opposed to, for example, a slightly faster CPU or slightly higher clocked RAM).

11. cpalmer03 macrumors newbie

Thanks that's good information, but doesn't it seem better to buy a faster ssd and have it installed?

12. iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It depends. If you already have an oem SSD the difference in performance will be negligible. You will probably only notice a performance difference using artificial test results. That being said, if you already have an oem SSD and want to upgrade to a faster version, the swap would be very easy to do as the mount and cable will already be in place. You could even sell the Toshiba and pay for most if not all of the newer/faster SATA III SSD.

If you don't have 2 drives in your iMac now the procedure to add an SSD is more involved as you will need to remove the logic board to add your new cable (assuming you plan on keeping the oem HDD). More work but in this case the performance difference would be a greater return.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Word of caution.

The new mid-2011 iMacs have custom firmware that works with the proprietary sensor cable to monitor the drive's temperature. You can't replace the stock drive on these models unless you want to listen to the iMac's fans run at full blast. However, you can add an SSD drive under the optical drive in addition to the stock drive. Of course, Apple doesn't supply the necessary cables/mounting bracket unless you purchase an SSD from them.

I would keep your CTO iMac. It's just not worth all the hassle.

http://blog.macsales.com/10146-apple-further-restricts-upgrade-options-on-new-imacs

14. cpalmer03 macrumors newbie

I would much rather have apple do it. And just have it ready out of the box. I guess i really just want to know if the 400 dollars is worth it for the SSD that apple supplies, because I know there are WAY faster drives out there. But it seems like the hassle is way larger than return.

15. sth macrumors 6502a

Depends... it will be a bit faster (depending on the SSD), but it won't be as big of a jump as going from a HDD to the Apple SSD. Also, if you don't install it yourself, don't forget the installation fees in your final calculation.

Anyway, I suggest looking around in the forum for experiences with 3rd party SSDs. There are some good threads about this topic, including installation instructions.

16. cpalmer03 macrumors newbie

Yeah, i agree that the biggest jump with be going from HDD to Apple SSD. Its not worth the hassle of opening it up and getting a kit to replace the 1 TB SATA. Hopefully I like the Apple SSD although i feel its overpriced for the speed... :/

17. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Also don't forget that currently 10.6.8 and 10.7 Lion only offer TRIM support for SSDs that are installed by Apple, ie. the Toshiba drives with the special firmware. Otherwise you will need a 3rd party software solution to manage TRIM on a self installed SSD.

18. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Or you could just buy a Sandforce SSD and forget about all that TRIM nonsense.

19. Smacky macrumors 6502