iMac 27" SSD + HD vs ssd + external

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thegoat, Aug 6, 2011.

1. thegoat macrumors newbie

I'm about to order an iMac 27" but i'm trying to decide if it's worth getting the ssd + hd or just the ssd alone and use an external hard drive. If I got both (from apple) would the os be installed on the ssd or will everything come installed on the hd?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you get both, I believe it comes installed on the SSD.

3. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

If you get SSD+HDD, OSX is installed on the SSD. The HDD has nothing on it. The User folder is on the SSD.

4. thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

would you recommend paying the extra $100 to add the 1tb hd or just use an existing external that I have already?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you've already got the external, I'd just use that. No sense in paying $100 for something you already have.

6. thegoat thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right. I'm going to go with the SSD + my own external hd. Thanks.

7. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Pretty soon (I guess/hope) external Thunderbolt drives will come out which will also be a good option.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Idk, for the extra $ I'd have a secondary drive in there. As you cannot add it later due to the custom firmware/proprietary drive apple has for it.
    More of a convenience factor and in the long run not much of a buyers remorse decision wishing you had it in there just in case.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Same here. Just seems neater.

10. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'd say always get as much built in storage you can afford —*even though you can upgrade later, it's always tricky with an iMac and there's nothing more annoying than having to shuffle around files on your discs to accommodate new things when you're almost full... Best to delay that moment as long as possible by getting the largest drives you can. If it were me, I'd get the SSD + 2TB drive.