iMac 27", SSD or not to SSD? (thx for help, ordered!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sommer, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Sommer macrumors member

Hey people,

I'm designing posters, prints, etc. and will soon start to do some HD videoediting as well... and then of course the regular mails, docs, etc. which should be no problem.

I am currently equipped with a 15" uMBP, 2,8GHz C2D, 4GB bought last year in september, and I LOVE it. No doubt the greatest machine I ever had, why I also just added a brand new 2010 Mac Mini Server for some webhost and mediacenter.

Programs I use so far is Photoshop, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Google Sketchup and some rendering tools, Final Cut and then as said all the regular programs which I know doesn't care about SSD (Word/Pages, etc.)

So I am used to the systems, and the power of the C2D 2,8..

And then finally the updated iMac 27" arrived!!

I want for sure the:
    - i7 2.93 GHz
    - 4 GB of ram (later upgrade to 8)
    - The new Touchpad
    - 1 TB harddrive

But I am unsure whether or not I would benefit from the SSD? Anyone has a clue?

E.g. I am currently working on some prints being 110x300 cm with 300 DPI, and I know there will be some more tasks like that the next year or two. On the other hand it is not the main usage, so well, I am just wandering around knocking my head into the walls not knowing whether or not it is a good idea to buy it.

If you need additional information, please let me know and I will answer the best I can. :)

THANKS!

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Get the ssd at the time of purchase as it will be a good speed up and apple doesnt include the brackets and cables needed for installing a second drive with the computer without purchasing their own ssd solution. Later on you will be ranting about this if you ever want to install the second drive.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OWC offers aftermarket SSDs with installation included. They also offer eSATA port so you can add your own SSD

4. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely get the SSD if you can afford it. It is the most dramatic performance upgrade every computer user notices immediately. I'd probably go for the Apple upgrade option too so it's covered as part of the AppleCare warranty and support options.

If I had to choose between an i3 with SSD, or an i7 with 1TB SATA, I'd pick the i3 model every day.

5. Torrijos macrumors 6502

The eSATA port is instead of the second internal drive.

6. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

I understand using inDesign and Photoshop for having some more sophistication to your prints if iWorks Pages doesn't cut it for you, but why Dreamweaver? Wouldn't it be better to code by hand with CSS JAVASCRIPT HTML ? In the long run it will save you energy from re-coding your site since Flash will be dead soon. Not to mention that the Flash has no advantage in the quickly growing touch base society. Soon Adobes Flash market will be nascent since most of there market is just Ads anyway and not real content. I just don't understand why people use Dreamweaver, it's bad enough Photoshop and the other CS junk hasn't really evolved much, but ....

Anyway... I would get the SSD cause for bloated CS applications you camp store them on your SSD and save all the space for your 1TB drive, in reality any software you instill should go to the SSD along with copies of good movies you'll do and photos (since there's less risk for failure with a SSD) and the keep everything else on your 1TB or 2TB whatever you decide.

7. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

Heya!

Thanks for your answer, and for your consideration regarding coding. I do not use the built in WYSIWYG editor, writing everything from scratch, besides when making webshops (Magento) or things where Wordpress fits well...

I use XHTML, CSS, PHP on MySQL, etc. And currently teaching my-self how to make programs for iOS :)

Dreamweaver is a brilliant tool. I have around 50 pages that I keep track on and update for other people, and they are all located in there with server access, passwords... I like it a lot!

Photoshop for the graphics and InDesign for the layout... well, try make a 1,1x3 meter 300DPI image in Pages... is that even possible? The cache files of Photoshop exceeds 50gb, even up to 80! Pages would die I suppose?

-------------

To all of you, regarding the SSD (on topic):

- Money is not really a problem, I want it to last for a long time
    - Additional storage and backup is located on my Time Capsule (backups of important files and pictures), and movies, etc. via my Mac Mini Server with a Drobo put on.

............. I guess that decides... I go for the 27", i7, SSD + 1TB, 4 gb memory...

8. Sommer thread starter macrumors member

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
    Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
    Apple Remote 065-9503
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (Danish) & User's Guide (Danish)
    Apple Battery Charger
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM
    Country Kit DK
    8x double-layer SuperDrive

JUST ORDERED! WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Thx for the advices and for telling me that I was not a complete idiot of buying an SSD