Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwfernandez80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
I'm about to buy a new baseline 27 inch, and I am going to upgrade the RAM to 8 gigs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mwfernandez80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Also, If I order two 4 gb SO DIMM's can I use them and the two 2 gb SO DIMM's that came with to make 12 gigs of RAM?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
Yes. I'd put the new 4GB RAM into the slots originally occupied by the 2GB modules, then put the 2GB into the empty slots. From what I've read, the CPU accesses the top slots first, so you want the larger modules there. This configuration should keep dual-channel memory enabled.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
Yes. I'd put the new 4GB RAM into the slots originally occupied by the 2GB modules, then put the 2GB into the empty slots. From what I've read, the CPU accesses the top slots first, so you want the larger modules there. This configuration should keep dual-channel memory enabled.

From the apple support document, this is really not necessary to move the 2 gb chips as long as you are putting in two RAM chips in the empty slots. Now if you are only going to put in just one 4 gb chip, then you will need to move the 2-2 gb chips into the empty slots, and the one RAM chip into the on the two empty slots that you moved the 2 originals out of.

If anyone can show a Apple support document that states the necessity of moving the original chips, I stand corrected.

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
From the apple support document, this is really not necessary to move the 2 gb chips

No, it's not necessary. I read, on Crucial.com, that there is some benefit to inserting the biggest memory modules into the the first slots as those slots are addressed first by the CPU. This could be incorrect, but it makes a certain amount of logical sense. And it will take about 60 seconds to move the RAM modules. And it definitely won't harm anything.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2007
Just curious, who actually makes the OEM RAM that Apple installs in their iMacs?

thanks!
Mark

meli

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
Apple sources RAM from a few manufacturers. I've seen a few people report that their new iMacs have Samsung RAM.

joudbren

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My two week old i7 27" iMac came with Samsung brand ram. It didn't even have an Apple logo on the ram like they used to do. I purchased 16GB (4x4GB) sticks of Corsair brand ram locally for $130 total and working perfectly so far. Keeping the original Samsung ram on a shelf just in case I need it for warranty issues. Cheers!

schaffinosx

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
When I upgraded my computer's RAM, I went with Crucial. Didn't have any troubles with the company, got the RAM, and it all worked out great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.