Imac 27" ubuntu....

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eyecon3, Oct 12, 2010.

1. eyecon3 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Seems like this forums have become my second home will all these problems imac27" has... (mostly because of the GC it seems, ATI radeon 4850 HD)
    So i have successfully installed windows 7 via boot camp this took about 2 days of my life and allot of time searching the internet for solutions for the countless problems i faced trying to install them.
    Now what i want to do is to have 3 operating systems on my imac OSX,windows and Ubuntu.
    So i booted up the mac from the install CD i have and made a 3rd partition (40gb) formatted as fat 32. Then i restarted and inserted the Ubuntu installation CD and tried to boot from there to install it. I got a cursor top-left of my screen for a second or so then a screen with 2 icons at the bottom one looked like a keyboard cant recall what exactly was the second one, after that i get a black screen and wired noise from my DVD drive and nothing happens next.

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

My imac is up to date version 10.6.4

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Did you burn that DVD by yourself? Usually it's badly burnt install disc, try re-burning it at the lowest speed or install it to USB stick.

3. eyecon3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i burned the DVD but i don't think that this is the case to be honest, i will re-burn it now and try again but i am 99% sure that nothing will change. After all the problems i had with windows i expect something more challenging than a bad burned dvd :p

Ah by the way i am trying to install ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso

And about the USB i format it to fat 32 Master Boot record and then just drag and drop the ISO?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You got working Windows in it right? If you do, download and install UNetbootin for Windows and then use it to install Ubuntu to the USB drive. That's how I installed Ubuntu to my PC laptop, worked well.

5. eyecon3 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK i did that but when i press option (alt) when the Imac boots up the USB doesnt show up to boot from there and istall Ubuntu. Do i have to install them from the BIOS of Windows ?? And if yes is it possible since my windows are running under bootcamp?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, maybe it doesn't work then :( Maybe this can help? I think you should post your issues to Ubuntu forums as well since they know more about Ubuntu and what might be wrong.

7. algorithmist macrumors newbie