iMac 27 Ulti - OSx and Win 7 64 bit on the same SSD ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CHSeifert, Mar 18, 2011.

1. CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I just got this nice little machine and have one internal 256 GB SSD and one internal 2 TB HDD.

I would like to install OSX and Win 7 64 bit on the fast internal SSD - what to do regarding file system and partition of the SSD, looking for advice since I'm a Mac newbie :eek:

Thinking about having one 160 GB partition of the SSD formatted to the Mac file format and then another partition formatted to the Win 7 format, but what formats should I use ?

As far as I know, NTFS doesn's woth with Macs or what :confused:

2. SlugBlanket, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

SlugBlanket macrumors regular

newbie advice on ssd partition

Are you asking how to partition or are you asking if once you partition, can you still read the data on the windows partition from within the mac environment ?

I'm also about to jump into a mac once the imacs are revised later this year and was wondering a similar thing a while ago. I do know that to achieve your partitioning you need to use bootcamp which you can find in your utilities folder. As long as you have a full genuine copy of Windows and a blank cd rom to hold the windows drivers for your mac hardware the process is no harder than doing a normal clean install of Windows on a regular pc. If you make the Windows partition NTFS I think you can read the data from the mac environment but you can't write to that partition from the mac environment. If you make the Windows partition FAT32 with its 4gb filesize limitation, you can both read and write to the Windows partition from the mac environment.

I think I've got that the right way round but check these forums as the topic has previously been discussed here at some length.

I just did a quick forum search and found this thread but I'm sure there are many others..
    recent thread

You will also probably need to do the actions described in this thread
    NTFS format info

3. CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Thanks for your help :)