iMac 27 v Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by englishman, Jun 30, 2010.

1. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Usage: general, everything, programming, home movies (watch, make and edit), gaming, web design, photography

Do I buy an iMac 27" £1,500 UK or a Mac Pro £1,500 and use my existing monitors (1024 x 768 x 2) ? Both would be refurbs/Ebays.

iMac - better screen? or get yellow tint problems? Better for watching movies?

Mac Pro - better machine in performance terms - can use existing kit eg hard disks for backup etc

Price is the same - also I guess I should wait for new models and struggle on with my ageing Dells. Which is easier to sell? Keeps value better.

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You won't have much fun with OS X with that small screen size of your two displays. Also, the 27" iMac will most likely run circles around the used Mac Pro that you will get for that money. The Mac Pro also is a very noisy computer compared to the iMac.

I switched from a Quad Xeon Mac Pro with two 20" Cinema Displays to the 27" iMac i5 and have not looked back. I think the Quad Core 27" iMacs are the best computers with the best value that Apple has ever released. It will be difficult for them to top that product line.

3. bsamcash macrumors regular

The Mac Pro would only be useful for upgrade options. In my opinion, the 27 inch iMac is the best overall choice.

4. englishman thread starter macrumors 6502a

englishman

Thanks. The screens are actually 1280 x 1024 4:3 but I have the resolution turned down as its XP. But interesting that you swapped your 2 20" ACD. I need to be able to see 2 A4 pages side-by-side, and also for programming. I worked out the pixels on the iMac 27" should be good for that (2560 by 1440). I'd probably get the i7. The 27" would be perfect for movies too as I have a very small TV.

There's something about a MP though...

5. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The high-end iMac is currently a better deal than the low-end Mac Pro right now, but that's because the Mac Pro is more than outdated. Both are expected to receive a refresh in the near future, so if you can wait, I'd wait.