iMac 27" Vertical Lines on Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ResultzMayVary, Oct 26, 2011.

1. ResultzMayVary macrumors newbie

Hi guys

As the title suggests I have a vertical line appearing on the right hand side (SEE THE IMAGE BELOW)

Unlike the other forums that have been posted its not solid, its rather distorted colouring .. but probably doesn't matter.

I'm not sure how to fix this as I live in New Zealand and we don't have apple stores here, it's also past its warranty.

My question is.. Im fine with just one line... but looking at the forums people say they only get worse.. is this true?

Also what component is it that's most likely affected? I'm seeing GPU and then some say it's just the monitor...

I installed xcode today as well as an aperture update and then shortly after it appeared. Would it have anything to do with those updates?

I have backed my computer up, should I try restore to yesterday?

Many thanks in advance!

Brad.

iMac 27" Late 2009 (about 1.5 years old)

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's not software. It's going to be the LCD.

You can verify it's not software because the issue will still be there when you boot from the OS install disk.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Agreed. If the line still appears after booting from the OS Install Disk, then it's the LCD display. Otherwise, it's software and should be fixable.
    Unless your display got hit really hard, or the glass panel got removed and then it hit the display when re-attached, this is just a very uncommon problem, and I don't believe it will get any worse

Just in case, check Software Update for any available updates and apply these.

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Take a screenshot of the desktop. If the line appears in the screenshot, then that will let you know it's an issue with the graphics card. If no line appears in the screenshot then that means it's your lcd

5. ResultzMayVary thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your replies!

Its definitely the display.
    How I know:

1) Ctrl + Scroll (zoom) - the vertical line remains in the same place
    2) Changing the resolution stayed in the same place
    3) Booting into Windows was in the same place
    4) Connecting a second monitor, no vertical line at all.

-

Was silly of me to not get applecare, however I have seen posts on youtube videos of the problem where people were able to get it replaced out of warranty... Does the display have a longer warranty than stated?

I found some ebay auctions that sell the iMac Display, though it states "Cables and Bezel not included"... would installation be hard? And would I use my existing cables to connect it?

It's been a week, and so far no further lines have appeared (touchwood)

Many thanks in advance!

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

There will always be some people who manage to get things covered out of warranty. There's not a repair extension program on iMac LCDs that I'm aware of.

7. Chory macrumors newbie

I have been living with a slowly progressing number of vertical lines creeping onto my imac for about a year now (three pink, one teal, one yellow, one that flashes sometimes-red-sometimes-green, as well as two 2" wide pulsating fuzz-bars)…am currently using a separate 32" monitor for when they make me crazy enough to bother.

As I understand it the cable is as often the issue as is the actual LCD panel itself…best to replace both as "pinched wires" in the connection seem to be the issue as often as not (with everything crammed into that tiny space, it's a surprise it's not a more frequent issue).

On the other hand, the upgrade in screen size has been fantastic, and I didn't have to MacGuyver anything…

8. ongharry1014 macrumors newbie

Hi All

I am having the same problem as ResultzMayVary, but my lines are grey instead of black. The strangest thing is that you can't see the line under black or white background, but can only see it under a colored background. Is my panel having issues? My iMac just passed it's warranty period... I am so sad.