iMac 27" vs Mac Mini i7 Quad+ ATB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tejagamer, Oct 6, 2011.

?

Which One to Buy???

1. iMac 27" i5 Quad

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Mac Mini Server i7 Quad

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. tejagamer macrumors member

tejagamer

Hi Guys,
    I am right now in a Dilemma...
    I want to buy either the iMac 27" top end(i5 Quad) or the Mac Mini Server(i7 Quad) and the Apple thunderbolt display..
    I am from India and so each combination costs me slightly above 1L..
    I am a Student so Apple Student discount is applied on iMac(If I am not wrong)

Usage:
    Programming and Web Designing(Photoshop,Flash, Java, PHP, HTML etc..)
    Movies and Music
    Light Gaming(Usually only Counter Strike 1.6)
    Lots of Browsing..

Open to other options.. Please specify
    BTW this will be my first Mac.

2. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

Given that the prices are similar, I'd go with the mini and thunderbolt display. I'd get the middle mini, maxxed, rather than the mini server, tho. Better graphics chip.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This. An upgrade down the line could be a Thunderbolt SSD drive that you could use for booting. And just FYI - there is a student discount on the Mini too, but it's only $20.

4. tejagamer thread starter macrumors member

tejagamer

Given My usage..
    I am right now using a Dell XPS 15, that is about to be replaced..
    It has an i5 460M + 4GB Ram and does Ok with my programming with a few slowdowns..
    Considering that,I want to make it future proof by taking the i7 Quad Server version and a LED TV..
    I will occasionally use my 47" 1080p LED TV for movies... So It should be enoguh for that.
    I think the HD 3000 can handle my needs(considering the fact that I want to stop gaming soon)

----------

I am from India dude..
    Here they don't give discount on Mini..
    BTW does any 32" LED TV work fine with Mini? If it has a HDMI Port

5. jononon macrumors newbie

My preference would be to go with the iMac 27". The GPU is way better, and you can upgrade the graphics card to 2gb, so it's more of an investment in the long run (if you potentially intend to connect multiple monitors). Also, being able to max out to 16gb (given how cheap ddr3 ram is right now), means that you can run all your apps well, especially if you're doing design work as well. For the same price, you're getting a much better computer.

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I second going with an iMac over the Mini Server. Unless portability is a must, the iMac is a much better machine overall. I had a Mini Server for a week doing Handbrake encodes, and the fan was maxed out all the time and was quite loud. I picked up a base model 21" iMac refurbed, and its a much better inventment for my needs (and only cost a few dollars more, and includes a screen, keyboard and mouse). Runs much cooler and more quiet when being pushed to the limits.

Not that I don't love the Mini's, but if its going to be stationary and not be moved, get an iMac. You won't be disappointed!