iMac 27", wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by h4rri3r, Feb 17, 2010.

  1. h4rri3r macrumors member

    h4rri3r

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Location:
    Portugal
    #1
    Guys, I'm thinking on getting a new computer. I chose the iMac 27". The problem is that it uses, yet, C2D instead of new architectures with Core ix. I need a computer to last me for a long time and I don't know if I should wait or not. The model I want is the base model of the 27" iMacs.

    What do you think? Should I go for it anyway or (try) to wait? The thing is that the new computer is not that urgent but It would be useful.
     
  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #2
    Um, there is another 27in iMac with Core i5/i7.
     
  3. h4rri3r thread starter macrumors member

    h4rri3r

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Location:
    Portugal
    #3
    But it's very expensive. I can go only for the iMac 27 inch base model. :(
     
  4. duky macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #4
    If you know about the i5 and i7 available, then I'm not sure I understand. What are you intending to wait for-- a price drop?
     
  5. h4rri3r thread starter macrumors member

    h4rri3r

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Location:
    Portugal
    #5
    No. I'm saying that prolly the next version of iMacs is going to have only Core ix architectures and I can only buy the base model of the 27 inch. At this time, that model only has option for C2D.

    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac?mco=MTAyNTQzNjA

    The 27-inch: 3.06GHz.
     
  6. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #6
    It's possible that the next iMac "speed bump" update will drop the Core2Duo chips to make the entire range "i" chips ... but when this update will happen is completely unknown. iMac update timeframes have been rather vague over the last few years (partly because they need new chips from Intel they can use) - some are about six months apart while others are a year apart, which means it could happen around April or October.
     
  7. duky macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #7
    I see, well my advice would be that since it's not urgent, wait until the rumored MBPs come and see if they might meet your needs/desires with Core ix architecture.

    But regarding the iMacs, I don't see updates coming very soon for two reasons:

    1) The 27"'s already seem to be having a hard time keeping up with demand (based on the lengthy ship times they've been plagued with for a while).

    2) There are MBP, MBA, iPad, iPhone and possible Mac Pro updates due in the next few months so I don't see why the iMac (which has been updated most recently) would be updated.

    If you need the a 27" screen particularly, I think your choices are laid out and you'd have a while to wait for that to change (unless we somehow are graced with a 27" ACD) so you might as well make a choice right now and go for it. Depending on your needs (many people don't do much that the Core 2 Duo can't handle) the Core 2 Duo might be enough, but considering it does not cost that much more, I think it makes sense to just get one of the Core ix's and put aside your worries.
     

Share This Page