IMac 27" Which cpu i7 or i5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bluzzer, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Bluzzer macrumors newbie

Hello Everybody..

I'm considering buying a new iMac. Not sure if its gonna be a i7 or i5. Have read some post around the internet about the i7 i running pretty hot when its push in video editing and gaming.

Not sure what the best choice will be? :confused:

Any help will be appreciated :D :apple:

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In gaming, you don't need an i7.

In video editing, rendering and encoding, the i7 will help because these tasks support hyper threading.

Desktop i5s don't support hyper threading, but desktop i7s do.

Comparison between 3.4GHz i5-4670 and 3.5GHz i7-4771: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/437/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4670_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4771.html

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Unless you're planning to do a lot of CPU intensive tasks such as video editing and such, I'd spend that $200 i7 upgrade on flash storage, a fusion drive or the 16 GB memory upgrade instead. And as far as gaming is concerned, your smart money should go towards that $150 GTX 780M 4GB graphics update.

4. Bluzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

i will be putting the 780M in the machine and 32 gb ram.

Not sure if what cpu is best? Have read that the i7 i running a lot hotter than the i5. Is that true? What will you choose?

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

They will both run hot.

6. Bluzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure?? From what i've read, the i5 will run cooler that the i7.. Anybody know what the temperature the i7 will run under gaming? Like new FPS games?:D

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The TDP values are the same, and even if they werent, running heavy stuff for extended periods will build up heat, so it wouldnt make a difference.

If you plan to do much video editing, go for the i7. HT and more cache is worth it IMO.

8. Bluzzer thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but i really don't wanna buy such an expensive mac if it runs hot under a little video editing?

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

No matter which one you buy, they'll all run hot under video editing.

That said, it runs very silent even under heavy loads. The loudest I ever heard my 27" was when doing 4K video, and even that was just a barely audible whir.

I did it on a 27" with i7.

PS Don't buy RAM from Apple if you go for a 27", the prices are daft. Go for 8GB and buy 4x8GB sticks from elsewhere. It's cheaper that way.

10. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Yes the i7 runs noticably hotter than the i5. I use an i7 iMac (with 680MX) myself, but after I disabled turbo boost in Windows, CPU temperatures during gaming are quite managable.

11. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

Could you please explain this? Looking up RAM prices, it seems as if buying 2x 8GB sticks is almost $200, just like Apples price. Buying 4x 8GB could save you some money, but if you want 16GB, Apple seems like a good option, right?

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

When you order 2x8 GB for $200, Apple swaps out the default 2x4 GB with the 2x8 GB chips. Also, note that adding more, to get 4x8 GB is $600, which means that Apple is actually charging $400 for that 2x8 GB.
    So, yes, Apple continues to inexplicably "stick" you for RAM. You can do much better elsewhere. (ex. Crucial wants ~$160 for 2x8 GB, so ~$320 for 4x8 GB.)

13. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

Or ~$160 for a total of 24 GB if you leave in the original 8 GB!

Like you suggest, order 8 GB and buy as much third party as you want / need.