iMac 27 Windows 7 64 bit Ati Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Antoni Nygaard, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

i have installed Catalyst Driver 09.12 woth the tool from hardwareheaven.com and after i found out the screen looks terrible wrong if i uninstall the Ati driver the screeen looks ok. but the drivers crash and the yellow dots coming on the screen.

and the only solution i found is go lower the the native reseloution.

any having the same issues

sorry my english i'm from Denmark:)

Attached Files:

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

have you tried other versions? the catalyst drivers tend to very a bit in their reliability. try a few earlier versions.

3. Antoni Nygaard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

here for official versions, otherwise MS has a version available from windows update.

5. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

hi antoni,
    do it so as described here, works 100% .. (i found it here 2-3 weeks ago)
    read carefully and at the last part "D......" copy this on a usb stick and paste it, to run boot camp drivers.

Found the Solution!
    Ok so I got it running! And it is great!
    Here is how I did it:
    After creating my boot camp partition I did the usual install. I let it go all the way until the screen went black. (This part is important) Wait for at least 20 min while the screen is black. If you restart your machine to soon it will not work.
    After waiting hold down the power button until the machine powers off. Start up the machine again, it will ask if you want to go into safe mode or not. Select "Safe Mode"
    \\While booting in safe mode you'll eventually get an error saying "setup cannot continue in safe mode. click ok to reboot". don't press OK!. Press shift F10 and type "compmgmt.msc" and hit enter. When the computer management screen comes
    up go to device manager and disable the video card (not uninstall it). You will still get video so don't worry.
    Close device manager and click 'ok' on the message and continue the install as normal, alternatively just do a reset. When the machine reboots this time you should have video, albeit it at a crippled resolution.
    Finish the Windows 7 64bit install. Then after you get in stick in the OSX DVD that came with your 27'' iMac. Do not run the auto installer that pops up. Instead do this:
    In the Windows 7 Start Menu Type “cmd”, then right-click on the program that appears and choose “Run As Administrator”.
    Then enter;

D:
    cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
    msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi

That will install the Apple 64bit drivers. After a restart the video card works great as well as all the other Apple hardware.
    The only issue I have had is when the wireless mouse and keyboard are inactive for a minute or so they stop working. I found that if plug in a mouse and log out and log back in they start working again. If anyone has a solutions to this problem
    let me know.
    Sorry if my sentences/spelling are bad, I was in a hurry.

6. slicecom macrumors 68020

Installing is so much easier with an external display. You can skip virtually all those steps, as you can actually see what's going on.

As for the bluetooth issue, you just need to unckeck (allow Windows to put this device to sleep to save energy" in the bluetooth preferences.

7. Gepper macrumors member

The guy already have windows installed if i understand it correctly. He's having problems running it. The thing with ATI and their mobile chips, is that they dont release drivers for them as they do for the desktop cards (reference drivers that is). This could be due to the fact that the laptop manufacturers demand it or whatever... no matter - you can still get drivers from ATI, they are packed into the regular desktop drivers but the mobile chips are "blocked" so you need to get a tool for this:
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php
    and the driver itself from ATI:
    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

Just read the instructions on the modtool page and you should be fine.

8. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

yes, so he should run this:

D:
    cd "Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple"
    msiexec /i BootCamp64.msi

with system dvd 1 inside ..

9. Gepper macrumors member

Except those drivers are almost 6 months old.

10. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

11. Antoni Nygaard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

i have allready installed Windows, but i think it the problem is the Ati drivers, the gradient on the screen looks teriible with the ati drivers on det desktop and viewing pictures, but not when i'm watching movies and play games.

12. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

so do the things started from D: .... , to install the machine own boot camp driver !

start from here:

In the Windows 7 Start Menu Type “cmd”, then right-click on the program that appears and choose “Run As Administrator”.
    Then enter;

13. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

The iMacs have an issue with the color on the screen. It seems they have a yellow tint issue which makes the colors in certain areas vary. The iMac section of macrumors is filled with people having this issue. I don't think it's the ATI driver.

14. rigid macrumors regular

No, I just installed these drivers too and there is a gradient on the screen, as if I'm in 16 bit color and not 32 bit.

15. Niklaas macrumors newbie

16. Superhero360 macrumors newbie

I have installed Win 7 64 bit on my i7 iMac as well and installed the modded "ATI Catalyst 9.12 Suite for Windows 7 (64 bit)". I have the same issue that, though games run much smoother, the colors seem to be 16 bit instead of the displayed 32 bit. Is there any way to solve this? I had to go back to the old Win 7 ATI driver, because I like full color ;-)

cu
    Superhero360

17. Lawrens macrumors newbie

Hi, I just gone through a bit of trial and erroring with a bunch of drivers... because the 3.1 bootcamp ATI drivers doesn't seem to want to install for me, I tried the new beta 10.1 drivers and they don't seem to work with the drivers modder, so I looked for another solution on the web, and I came across these sets of drivers:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=454204

They're for Dell but they seem to work fine after using the mobility modder. As the thread suggested they're newer than the 9.12:

Now I'm using 8.683.2.0 according to device manager.

I don't know if this works for everyone, just thought you might want to give it a try if the BC3.1 drivers aren't working for you and you don't mind testing out a newer driver than 9.12.
    I don't think color banding is there or at least not as noticeable (it wasn't the problem I was trying to solve, I was trying to just get rid of my bsod that doesn't seem to be related to my display drivers after all =/).
    I'm also using ATI 2600 Pro, imac 24" intel, I understand it has a different ATI card, but I notice they seem to share the same Catalyst drivers, so I hope this helps someone and save people from going through a bunch of drivers. I'm sure there'll be 10.1 drivers soon for mobility, but I haven't really looked or tried.

The ati drivers from bootcamp 3.1 should be version 8.661.0.0. So these are a bit higher so I thought people who play games might want to try these.

I apologize in advance if these blows up your computer or something, I'm not really computer savvy enough but these worked for me, at least for now. Hope it helps.