IMAC 27'' + Windows 7 - Screen problems?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cokedrinker, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cokedrinker macrumors member

Hello,

Ill be hoping to buy the 27'' i5 within the next 2 weeks, and ill be using it primarily with Windows 7 for the next 3 months (ill then be leaving it to my parents with osx only when i move away).

I've come across alot of threads regarding screen issues with the 27'' (yellow tint + flickering), and Apple have apparently released firmware updates to address these issues somewhat. When i update the firmware in osx, will these issues be addressed for when im running windows?

Also, is bootcamp windows 7 running flawlessy on the imac? Im on a uMBP, and had alot of problems with the Nvidia drivers... took alot of editing settings thru rivatuner to fix :/

Cheers

2. hollyw0od macrumors member

That's strange. I'm running Win7 a new Mac Mini and driver support couldn't be better. Make sure you update Boot Camp to 3.1.

As far as the iMac screens go, I remember hearing something about how they would be fixed this month. Since it's a firmware issue, it should be fixed in Windows, too.

3. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I just read the first post of the tint thread and it would seem what you just said is false. Check it out yourselves: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940

4. astroot macrumors regular

I have a week 45 27" iMac i7. I had minor screen flickering in OS X, but never really all that annoying enough to make me return it. First update did not fix the flickering. Second update did.

I installed Windows 7 Professional 32-bit about a week after I got the iMac in November, and have never had a single screen flicker in Windows.

5. hollyw0od macrumors member

You don't even know what you just said. The problem should have been fixed with the second firmware update. Therefore, it should also work fine in Windows.

6. cokedrinker thread starter macrumors member

cheers, i was thinking it should be fine!

When bootcamping win7, will i need to get a usb keyboard - it will hardly pickup the wireless keyboard while installing windows 7? for entering the product key/info etc?

7. astroot macrumors regular

Yes, you'll need a wired keyboard/mouse for the initial install.

8. spoonerist macrumors newbie

I installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit last week using the wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse that came with my i5 iMac.

The Installation Guide stipulates that you must use the keyboard and mouse that came with your computer OR a USB keyboard and mouse. (Which I don't actually believe, since I used a Magic Mouse that didn't come with my iMac, but that's what it says in the installation guide.) So, yes, you can use the wireless keyboard and mouse for installing Windows 7.

Make sure that you follow these specific 27" iMac instructions when installing Windows 7.

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

1. Yes, follow the "black screen" solution closely.

2. Second, you may have audio issues (after installing I had no sound, it didn't matter if I installed the new realtek drivers). The solution to this was to stick in your snow leopard DVD while in windows 7. Click setup.exe and it will install bootcamp 3.0 and you will get sound that way.

3. Now the problem I had is the "color banding issues" after bootcamp 3.1 installation. I'm going to try to find an old ATI driver because the newest ATI 4850 catalyst drivers are still giving me the "banding issues" on the screen. I am using the default windows 7 background and you can see white blotches with the aqua blue screen. It's rather annoying.