Imac 27" XP or WIndows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mogens, Feb 27, 2010.

1. mogens macrumors member

I'm about to install windows 7 on bootcamp on my Imac i7
    I also have XP, will that be a better choice if I want to avoid color issues (16bit), running hot etc...
    I mainly plan to use bootcamp for a few games and for Band in a Box.

2. StEvEnGtR macrumors member

StEvEnGtR

Well, if you got 4 GB of memory (and I think you do), I'd suggest you go for Windows 7 64-bit to take full benefit of your memory. However, I'm not aware of the possible performance/compatibility issues on the iMac with Windows 7 compared to Windows XP. If you really can't make a decision, why not install XP now and upgrade to/do a fresh install of 7 some other time?

3. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

depends on what kind of applications you're planning on using on it and if your windows 7 is 64bit or not. personally i'd go with windows 7 (i don't think there's a adobe flash player for it though that works 100%) because windows xp is old, and is a breeding ground for viruses and other junk. there's also a new version of bootcamp that has windows 7 drivers that you can get off of apple's site and install it once windows is up and running.

4. mogens thread starter macrumors member

I have 8gb so I installed windows 7 64bit..seems to run fine except for the 16 bit color issue. I tried to install the leaked Catalyst 10.3pre (8.71) from here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com//showthread.php?t=315901

It contain drivers for mobility vers. of hd 4850, they run great but still with the 16bit issue. Perhaps the problem is with the driver for the monitor?