iMac 27in late 2012 buying questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jtoddk98, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jtoddk98 macrumors newbie

Hello. I am looking to buy a late 2012 27in iMac. Should I go with the 2.9 i5 or the 3.2 i5 model? I don't really do much editing. Just watch video. Is 512mb graphics in the 2.9 model enough? I am definitely getting the fusion drive on whatever I get. So would a base 2.9 model with the fusion drive be the best bet for me? I'd probably keep the computer 3-4 years. How future proof would that be?

2. Arfdog macrumors 6502

If the most you do is watch videos, that setup is totally fine and is future-proof enough. Even a basic iMac has ordinary tasks like video, internet, 95% of games, all of that licked.

You might lose a bit more on resale though.

3. jtoddk98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not really worried about resale. Is the fusion drive the best performance improvement rather then a processor upgrade? I already have a 16gb ram upgrade on hand ready to go in when I get it.

4. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Yes. The FD is the single biggest performance improvement. And don't listen to people that say it's not as good as SSD. It is just as good as SSD, unless you create/work on files multiple gigabytes in size on a daily basis.

The i5 to i7 upgrade is good, but not as much performance bang for the buck as FD or GPU.