imac 27inch 2011 flashing games?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robbie12345, Aug 23, 2013.

1. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Hi so my imac 27 inch was bouught about 2 years ago. It is equipped with a amd radeon 6970 graphics card with 2gb of ram.

Now, whenever I play a video game, such as minecraft or modern warfare, online or not the games start flashing and glitching. The more demanding it is, the more it flashes. For instance on minecraft single player it doesnt flash very much, on mincraft multiplayer it flashes more.

On modernwarfare multiplayer it flashes so much you cant play.

I know there was a recall for these graphic cards, but it said that the recall was for failed graphic cards. I wouldnt say mine has failed, as I can still search the web and such comfortably.

Thanks so much, -Robbie

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Do you have screen alerts enabled by any chance?

3. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

no, i dont even know what those are to be honest. The problem just started recently

4. malvicus macrumors member

Take it in for service. It's not like you'd install graphics card anyway! There was a thread featuring serial numbers related to that video card recall. You can check if yours is on that list. Otherwise, it sounds like your video card has failed or it could be a chain of events (fan failure -> overheating -> vid card failure). If the problem only occurs during a game then the video card failing is most likely cause.

5. robbie12345 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the thing is that I did read the terms. The problem is is that my graphics hard hasn't "failed" there are no blurred lines, just flashing when playing games. Also I don't want to bring it in if they won't replace it. The nearest apple store is half an hour away, and lugging a 27 inch iMac across a mall isn't easy.

Oh and yeh my serial number is one of the affected, that's why I was wondering if it could be the gpu

Thanks so much

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Ad you're young, get your folks to help you. Wheel it on a skateboard.

If your serial number is on the list, you need to sort it out before one day you turn it in and get glitches which prevent you from accessing your machine