iMac 27inch as screen for PS3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kehaan, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Kehaan macrumors member

Hello all.

I am a PC user, but i am thinking about getting a iMac 27inch instead. But i have a questian, is it possible to use the iMac 27inch as a screen for my PS3?

I have searched about it, and it seem some thinks you can, and others say you cant do it.

And then some talks about a converter and others that says its not possible. You can do it with a converter but only in a bad quality, and not in HD.

But is it possible? Also read about that it was only possible on the 27inch, but not on the others?

Thanks.

From Kehaan.

2. Awfdixon macrumors newbie

The iMac 27" is only designed to be used as an external monitor for another Mac.

The iMac won't work very well as a display for an PS3. Even with newer adapters (when they are released) you may experience problems with things like frame rates.

You're better off looking at a dedicated TV unfortunately.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It's possible. See the giant thread on doing the same thing with a 360.

Basically, what it comes down to is that there's some company that's building an adapter that will allow it to work. But we're waiting on when they release it (next few months) and how much it'll be. It's possible, but nothing's in stone yet.

Follow that link to that thread. Keep watching it for updates.

4. Kehaan thread starter macrumors member

Hello.

Thanks. Now i just need to consider, if i really want to move from Windows to Mac :p

From Kehaan

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

We knew the answer to that a long time ago :)

6. Kehaan thread starter macrumors member

Hello

True, but still its a big change. Never had a mac before. Only seen other used it... Have brought a iPhone which have made me see that Apple makes some very nice product.

The problem with the iMac may though be the gfx card... I am playing games, but they never use that much...

Atm i use a:
    i7 2,6ghz
    12gb ddr3 ram
    GTX 295 card.

But i never really use the power the card has. And i have seen that the iMacs play games nicely for my need.

Need to consider it hehe.

From Kehaan.

7. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

What games are you playing? If you're buying a computer soley to play games OR games are a big part of your computer time. Do not buy a Mac.

I use to play PC games a few years ago but it came way too expensive to keep upgrading my computer to play new games. I ended up just buying a PS3 and an iMac.

My iMac is 3 years old and it plays games like Counter Strike on highest settings at a really good frame rate. On boot camp, that is.

8. Kehaan thread starter macrumors member

Hey.

Anarchy Online i am playing a lot, which is getting a new engine upgrade in the future.

Else old games, and sometimes new ones like Fallout 3, Call of Duty, etc. But thats not a lot...

First time i brought this PC i played some Crysis and other games that needed good hardware. But that was only in the first week or 2... Now i am not really playing those game anymore.

I can also see that Left 4 Dead and such games also runs great on it, with crossover.

If i am getting a mac, i am not really interrested in getting windows on it. Not to boot up to atleast. Only by crossover or maybe VMware Fusion and such.

I dont want to boot up to it :p If i am going to use Windows all the time on a Mac, there is no idea in getting one. So i would like to stay as far away from it.

From Kehaan.