iMac 27inch late 2009 model

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sinitry23, Apr 27, 2012.

1. sinitry23 macrumors member

Hi,

The iMac 27inch late 2009 model comes with two sata II ports? One for the hard drive and one for the SuperDrive? I would like to upgrade my imac and install a SSD drive and replace the Superdrive by using the SATA connection. Does anyone know if the SATA connect for the SuperDrive is 3.0gbps?

2. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Try looking it up on http://www.everymac.com/
    I think that should provide the info you need.

3. dtjay7 macrumors regular

Hi, I am interested in this question also. I looked at everymac and all that I could find was the speed for the HDD and not for the optical drive connection. Am I missing it? Thanks!!

4. sinitry23 thread starter macrumors member

That's right, the speed for the sata is 3.0gbs but it doesnt state the speed for the super drive sata.

Anyone with a late 2009 iMac 27 upgrade to a SSD using the super drive SATA, can you post your speeds for both read and write?

5. JaHull macrumors member

Hi the speed of the superdrive SATA is 3 Gigabit on my 27" iMac from late 2009.
    You can check the speed of yours by clicking on the Apple menu and going to "About this Mac" then "More Info..." then "System Report" then find "Serial-ATA" down the side bar and it should say Link Speed: 3 Gigabit when u click on the Intel 5 Series Chipset which the superdrive is connected to.
    Negotiated Link Speed will be 1.5 Gigabit but that is only because the superdrive is SATA1 it will be 3 Gigabit if a SATA2 drive is connected.

6. sinitry23 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply!

----------

Will I need an adapter to connect the ssd when I replace the super drive? Or can I use the existing sata cables?