iMac + 2nd Monitor + PS3 set up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Liffey, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Liffey, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

Liffey macrumors regular

I have a late 2009 iMac i5 27" which I currently use for PS3 gaming (with Kanex XD), but I am considering adding a 2nd monitor for extra workspace (not that 27" isn't enough, I'm just spoiling myself at this point, lol) and so that I can plug my PS3 to that for 1080p (Kanex only allows 720), and if there are multiple people in the room one could use the iMac while others play games. Basically I want both the iMac and the PS3 inputting to the 2nd monitor (to be used at separate times of course).

Before I buy a bunch of stuff I want to show my plan and check with you guys if it will work? Also I'm linking the products I am thinking of getting, but any words of warning or just other recommendations would really be appreciated. I've never had 2 screens and I don't want to buy all this junk and find out for myself it won't work. ;)

I figure I will need an HDMI switcher (so ps3 and imac both go to monitor), a MiniDisplay to HDMI output cable, the extra HDMI cable to connect from MiniDisplay cable to the switch box, and of course a monitor (which if i get that kind will need an hdmi to dvi adapter). After all this I would no longer need or have room for the Kanex XD and could sell it to help the cost quite a bit.

edit: nevermind this part!
    And I have one other question... I have a set of speakers plugged into the 5mm jack on the iMac. If I'm playing PS3 on the second monitor, I'm assuming the audio will never output to the jack. The monitor I linked only has DVI and VGA input. How could I make sure audio works right? Or am I better off finding a different monitor?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it!

2. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

That sounds like a pretty complicated way of going about it. I really think you should just find a different monitor. One that has a HDMI input for the PS3 and a MDP, VGA, DVI or whatever for the iMac.

Personally, I'm thinking of getting a Dell U2711 for myself to do exactly this, I'm pretty sure you can get speakers for the Dell too. But this is a pretty expensive option, so just have a look around and see what else you can find.

3. Liffey thread starter macrumors regular

Good point... the Dell is way out of my price range but something like the ViewSonic VX2739WM might suit me better as it has both HDMI and DVI. Thanks for the input. :)

4. robwormald macrumors member

Just get a monitor with HDMI in and DVI/MDP in. I have a samsung 24" LED next to my 27" iMac. I just switch the input on the samsung between the iMac and the PS3. Far simpler.

5. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Mine too, I'm going to be waiting a long time :p