iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo doesn't recognise original install DVD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ageinggroover, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Ageinggroover macrumors newbie

Bought this as a refurb from Apple a couple of years ago. No problems until I noticed it was "beachballing" and running a bit slow - nothing drastic but annoying.

Ran the disc utility and it's come up with a bad sector, start from DVD disc and run repair utility message.

Only problem is that it won't recognise any of the original discs including the applications and iLife DVDs. On inserting the disc the machine whirrs and clicks but eventually spits it out.

Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the DVD drive as other non-Apple discs work.

I've tried inserting the disc at the same time the power button is pressed and then holding down the "option" key or the "C" key, but no joy - whirring for a few mins at various frequencies and then eject and start from HD.

Machine is running 10.6.8 and the install DVD is marked 10.6.2.

I've tried using a mate's Snow Leopard disc and the same thing happens.

HELP:confused:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Since you have a bad sector, I recommend you try repairing it. I use a PC DOS-based program called Spinrite as a maintenance utility and data recovery utility on all my HDD's. You have to have an IBM-PC in order to use it though. You take the HDD out of the Mac and connect it to the IBM-PC and run the program.

As far as the iMac not recognizing the disc's, have you tried using an external CD-ROM drive to boot from?

Below is my old MBP HDD in a Dell PC with Spinrite working on it.

Independent review of Spinrite (not me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ageinggroover thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but don't have a PC available (and don't really want to pull the machine apart unless I have to).

I've not got an external dvd drive, but tomorrow I'm going to get the local Apple store to look at my discs.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You should probably bring the computer too, just in case. :)

5. Ageinggroover thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right, but I'll be walking there, so I'll save my energy for lifting it into the boot (trunk) of my car:)

6. Ageinggroover thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, wandered to my local Apple retailer and my disc and their own Snow Leopard disc wouldn't work in their own 3.06 GHz machine - they would work in their newer, faster machine - conclusions?: I don't have any apart from that fact that I still can't boot from an external disc:mad:

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Apart from the beach balls's, is the computer usable? Is it running SL? The SuperDrive's in Mac's aren't always the best and I've had my share of issues with them too. That's why I use an external drive instead.

8. Giuly, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Apple did right getting rid of those slot-loading drives, because "Number of people with a broken SuperDrive without even knowing it" > "Number of people saying that they need a SuperDrive"

Try one of those Lens-cleaning CDs, worked for me.

9. Ageinggroover thread starter macrumors newbie

It is usable - am using it right now. It's running 10.6.8.

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'd say try a lens cleaner as mentioned above and/or get an external drive to use for booting.

11. Ageinggroover thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I've managed to clone my hard-drive to an external hd and I can now start using this drive.

However, when I come to try and repair my internal HD using "disc utility" it says "error: could not unmount disc" - what do I do now?

12. Ageinggroover thread starter macrumors newbie

After a bit more head-scratching I realised I needed to eject the internal HD. Ran the disk utility repair and all back to normal - phew!:D

Still spits out the original software disks though:(