Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
The ACD is still superior to the iMac? :confused:

Of course it is!

- more accurate color
- better viewing angles
- SWOP-certified
- matte
- already calibrated and ready for use out-of-the-box
- no backlighting-or-whatever issues in like forever, while every other iMac has backlight bleed.

Just compare them side by side and you'll never want the iMac's screen again :)

There is surely a reason why Apple continues to sell 23" ACD as a professional display, while selling iMac's display as consumer type.

kabunaru

Jan 28, 2008
Of course it is!

- more accurate color
- better viewing angles
- SWOP-certified
- matte
- already calibrated and ready for use out-of-the-box
- no backlighting-or-whatever issues in like forever, while every other iMac has backlight bleed.

Just compare them side by side and you'll never want the iMac's screen again :)

I agree then. I haven't really checked them side by side. ;)
I think that matte screen is the biggest reason though.
You could always put an anti-glare film on the iMac, but it still probably won't be as accurate:
http://www.photodon.com/lcdprotect-sheet.htm

Edit: Cool avatar you have, eXan. Is that you?

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
While this isn't true, I'm glad you finally made up your mind :)

Well, I still find it good. Somewhere on the forum I read that the iMac display use more recent technology than the ACD. iMac uses H-ISP and ACD uses S-ISP (something like that).

Is that true ? What is the difference ? Anyway I like the iMac display, I guess I am use too and I know what I get.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Well, I still find it good. Somewhere on the forum I read that the iMac display use more recent technology than the ACD. iMac uses H-ISP and ACD uses S-ISP (something like that).

Is that true ? What is the difference ? Anyway I like the iMac display, I guess I am use too and I know what I get.

Because it uses more recent display panel technology doesnt mean its a better display. The Difference between 23" ACD and iMac's 24" display is in the first post on this page.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Glad I read this

I have a 23" ACD that I have connected to a MBP 2.4. I was thinking of replacing it with the iMac 24, 3.06, which obviously would be significantly faster, but after reading the discussion of the screen here and elsewhere on the forum, I decided to keep my present setup. Apple really needs to supply something between the MiniMac and the Pro. I have both a 23" and a 30" ACD -- both are excellent, but I think I like the 23" one better for most work, as the pixels are a bit larger.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
I have a 23" ACD that I have connected to a MBP 2.4. I was thinking of replacing it with the iMac 24, 3.06, which obviously would be significantly faster, but after reading the discussion of the screen here and elsewhere on the forum, I decided to keep my present setup. Apple really needs to supply something between the MiniMac and the Pro. I have both a 23" and a 30" ACD -- both are excellent, but I think I like the 23" one better for most work, as the pixels are a bit larger.

I have a iMac with a 24 inch screen. I wonder how it is with a ACD (or other display) 30 inch screen. 24 inch is so much, I love it :D but 30 ?? Do you get skin burns ?

Ok, sorry, I do have a serious question : How far do you guys sit away from your screen ? Because my keyboard is not wireless, I do have to sit pretty near of the screen, and I admit, it does hurt my eyes. So I decided to get a wireless keyboard (that is not practical because of the batteries) so like that I can sit more away from the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.