iMac 30" 3.0Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Frozentoast, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Would you buy a 30" iMac 3.0Ghz

1. Yes

47.8%
  2. No

52.2%
  1. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

Perfection: An iMac at 30 inches, minus the latest screen issues. Obviously the specs wouldn't step on the toes of the Mac Pro range but an upgrade from 2.8 to 3.0 would be nice.

It makes complete sense as it would be catering the 'prosumer' w/o having to create a new product line. Am I asking too much? :)

I realise speculation for this setup has been discussed before although the Buyer's Guide is telling me we are halfway through the product cycle so now seems a good a time as any for wishful thinking.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't because I don't need a screen that big. I think that 24 inches would be the largest I would get.

3. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

If the 24" iMac didn't exist, my dad would own a Mac Pro. But as it is, his 24" Core 2 iMac with its geForce 7600GT is pretty fast, even outperforming Mac Pros in many tests. I think that a 30" iMac, especially one that is spec'd higher than the 24" model, would take a heavy toll on both Mac Pro and 30" ACD sales.

4. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I am still leery of buying a system that is all one piece. After the warranty expires... If the display dies, the system is nearly useless. If the processor or systemboard die, the system is useless.

I like separates, so I can upgrade as necessary. If they ever update the Mini again, and it can support a 30" LCD, I'll kick myself for buying the 24" that I just got. But then again, I haven't found a KVM that will drive a 30". Yet...

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i wouldn't

at current prices, you could buy a base mac pro for what you're talking about

plus 30" is too big any way unless you have a whole room set apart for computing alone

but i would like a consumer tower.........

6. docprego macrumors 65816

A 30" screen is ridiculously big when you are sitting in front of it at home. Even in the store where things tend to look smaller than they will once you get home, it is still gargantuan. I think the 24" is pushing it to the limit for most peoples desks.

7. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

For now i would say that this is not likely to be a reality. HOWEVER, I do remember that when i bought my imac, 17" was considered a large monitor.

8. Mundy macrumors regular

Sometimes I don't find 24" to be big enough, so yes, I'd buy an iMac with a 30" screen.

9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

The main problem with an AIO is the fact that you can't take the parts for the next computer.
    I think a 30" monitor is too much to discard.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Even a 20" iMac looks ridiculously large in the room I use to work in. A 30" would require me to start moving walls.

11. dannewell15 macrumors regular

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I really think thats too big,what are iMac owner doing that they need a 30'' display?

30'' display, with a good resolution, are over kill, and far to pricey

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure how well a 30" iMac would sell. But then again, people said the same thing about the rumored 23" iMac that become reality (albeit at 24"). :) :apple:

14. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Provided it had a decent GPU (capable of playing games).....I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

15. Queso macrumors G4

How about if it had a slot for an upgradable graphics card, but shipped with something a bit Meh?

16. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

This nails it, exactly. A 30" display is great, but I sure wouldn't want to chain one to a 3GHz processor that I'll want to replace in a year or two. I've gotten a good three years of use out of my 30" ACD and I plan to get another three years out of it (at least). I'd be sad if I had to throw it away just to upgrade my CPU. The price of 30" display panels is still too high for the display to be disposable.

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Personally I think it would be a monster ... :eek:

The 24" iMac is huge, a 30" doesn't bear thinking about.

18. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I think it will depend on the price difference between it and similar specification mac pro, however i will be interested. Of course being in the 2009 era then i wound expect higher speed processor ;)

19. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I would as long as it retains the resolution of the 30" Cinema Display. My biggest beef with the 24" iMac is that I would really like a higher resolution display as I've gotten used to the high-res screen on my MacBook Pro and would like a similar pixels-per-inch on a 24" display.

20. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the 24" is too large, I just purchased a 20" and that seems to be a great size for the room its used in...

21. Josh220 macrumors regular

I have the 27" already, so I won't be upgrading.

22. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

27" is almost the same thing so 30" would be useless, it would use nearly the same resolution anyway. 3GHz, what CPU? C2D? i7? Current 27" can handle up to 95W so that's not an issue. If Apple made it thicker, it could house 130W along with desktop GPU

23. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I would not want to see a 30" iMac, at least not without a substantial graphics upgrade. The resolution of the 27" is very high already, which makes the gaming performance take a substantial hit, and that's with the 4850, and I would imagine the 4670 is even worse. And yes, I do know that Macs aren't meant for hardcore gaming, but I would like to see midrange, decent performance from a nice, midrange iMac (The i5/i7 however, could be considered mid-high end).

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You do all realize this thread is from 2007, right? ;)

25. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I've got a 20" and I was playing with the 27" in the apple store today... It's too friggin big! The 24" is almost too big, almost.

You would need to sit like 3' away.

Coachingguy