Imac 3g

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Macpropro80, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Just got a pink imac g3 333mhz with os 10.1.4. I know its not the rarest or the coolest mac ever but hey it was free! Works like a charm, A fine addition to my quickly growing collection.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. MacTech68, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

LOL

And, er.... "Strawberry"

;)
    ________
    halfbaked

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Nice one! I have the original "Bondi Blue" iMac G3 @ 233 Mhz. They're great machines. :)

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Well, it is the last revision of the first generation of iMacs.

It lacks firewire which is a bummer, but on the upside, those machines DO NOT QUIT.

I have two friends, one with the 333, one with the 233mhz, and they are STILL RUNNING STRONG.

Add some ram. It takes laptop ram but add it anyway. Also get a bigger hard drive. You will see the difference in speed. You can easily run Panther with it.

6. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

california, it has 190mb of ram (somewhere in the neighbor hood of that) I plan on getting an os 10.1 install disk from my friend and then dropping in an 80 gig hard drive. It has internet and its running fine.

7. MacTech68, Mar 4, 2009

MacTech68

Your friends are reasonably lucky. The most common failure with these is the FlyBack Transformer. You can still get the transformer for the 233Mhz (Rev1 Analog Board) from 3rd party vendors like Donberg Electronics. The Rev2 boards use a different transformer. These transformers start intermittently shorting internally. They are resin potted so you can't repair it. The symptom will begin as a short, sharp "crack" sound with the screen blanking out for a second. Eventually, when it shorts permanently, you'll power on the machine, and as soon as the power light goes from amber to green the whole machine will turn off. You won't be able to turn it on again unless you remove the mains power for about 30 minutes.

The alternative is to unplug the 15Pin video cable in the back underneath the bottom case and plug in an Apple Multiscan monitor. (Despite the words "No Monitor" embossed next to the connector. :eek:

The only other common problem is dirty/dusty laser assemblies in the CD DROM drive (or children who love to colour in the lens with a texta). :D

I still use one, but it's only a server so once the screen sleeps, the display electronics don't run (unlike the slot loader iMacs that continue to run the screen electronics despite the screen being "asleep").

EDIT: oh, a small preventative measure. When you replace the RAM, there is a rectangular shield with holes in it that covers the CPU card. Remove it. It rusts and then corrodes the CPU card. Of course, this this should NOT be confused with the CPU heatsink which MUST be left in place. :)
    ________
    Acura ARX-01

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

190MB? That's nothing. iMacs today come with 2GB (over 10 times as much) standard.

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Try to bump it up to at least 384mb ram and Panther. You' have to partition the hard drive to eight gbs for one partition and the rest on another on these machines, though.

I think these things last forever because they usually just sit on people's desks and are not moved around. Rusting on the inside probably only happens in areas with high humidity, I've never seen that happen personally.

10. MacTech68, Mar 5, 2009

MacTech68

Where I am isn't particularly humid, and every older trayload iMac I've opened shows some or considerable corrosion on that shield. It could be the particular factory they came from. Most here in Australia at that time came out of Singapore (Serial Number prefix "SG").

Don't ask me, I just report what I've seen! :)
    ________
    1949 Ford history

11. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well this isn't a new imac is it? this imac happens to be 11 years old! the back says copyright apple 1998.

Note: I wrote this response from my g3 imac !

:)

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

A pawn shop near me has a blue iMac, I think it's called a Bondi or something from what I have read. They want $125 for it and it has the original keyboard and mouse. Was thinking of getting it but most people think that price is too high.

They look like are fun to use.

13. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fun but slow. One cool thing about them is you can remove the computer part all at once, its all on one removable try, and you can plug any monitor in to it, it uses the old apple display ports. Im thinking about putting a 15 inch flat panel in it.

14. MacTech68, Mar 5, 2009

MacTech68

Not quite any. The old 14" Color Display (fixed resolution) is one that the iMac doesn't understand. The old Apple video connector used 3 pins to tell the computer what type of display is attached.
    ________
    buy vapor tower

15. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

$125 is way too much, especially as the flybacks had a nasty habit of blowing and this one may not last long.
    To the OP, make sure any new hard drive has the OS installed on a 7.5 GB partition (must be the first one) and take up the RAM as far as possible. Panther runs fine on these machines, any older OS X is'nt going to be much fun.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I decided not to buy it. I think everything that shop had was too expensive.

17. nplima macrumors 6502a

I gave up on trying to use a Powermac G4 when I saw that it just could not handle Flash animations in a modern browser ... got it used and sold it for +/- the same amount I paid on ebay. Can't imagine the performance of a G3.

18. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^with flash? ^&*ing awful, I gave my mum my iMac DV (G3 400) and had to turn off flash in Camino as it made the browser unuseable. It's *almost* ok on a G4 450 and fine on a 667+ Mhz.