iMac: $475 G5 or $650 C2D?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by munckee, Jan 17, 2008.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm looking to pick up a spare machine for my new apt. It will primarily be a jukebox/movie box with some light internet usage, etc. A 17" iMac seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a G5 for $475 but I've also found a C2D for $650. Obviously, the C2D is more future-proof, but since it won't be used for heavy lifting, I'm wondering if it's worth it. I would like to put Leo on whatever I end up with. Thoughts?

The C2D was a refurb; can anyone help me with what those went for originally on the refurb site? It's a 1.83, 160GB HD model.

Also, a couple of questions:
    -Can I get a USB remote port for the G5 so I can use the Apple (or another cheap) remote with it?
    -Does the C2D support screen spanning w/o a hack? (I know the G5 requires a minor hack to do so)

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd certainly go for the C2D if it's affordable - far more future-proof.

For the orig specs on the iMac, I'd suggest looking it up on everymac.com - you should find all the info you need there

3. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, they're both relatively affordable. It's just a question of whether its worth it given that I want to use it for music, movies, and internet for a while.

4. je1ani macrumors 6502

C2D.. I can make a list why but i'd rather not.. Just get the C2D :D

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since the difference in price is relatively small (<$200), I'd say go for the C2D. As has been said before, it is way more future proof than the G5.

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

C2D; OSX and all major applications now target Intel hardware.