iMac/4GB RAM/1TB Serial ATA Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jesse Smith, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jesse Smith macrumors member

Where the best place online to buy a NEW iMac, with 4GB RAM/1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive?

At Apple.com it's $2,649.00 with free shipping and free printer rebate. ($200 is for the extra 2GB of RAM.)

At crucial.com they suggest...

4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
    $109.99

Is that RAM just as good as what Apple provides? How easy is it for a n00bie like me to put the RAM in the iMac?

On eBay I'm seeing $2,419.00 plus $58.14 for shipping.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Never buy RAM from Apple. Get the standard amount and buy third-party.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Buy from Apple.com (w/ the EDU discount) and then upgrade the RAM from Crucial or OWC.... Simple.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

And to answer the other question -- very easy even for a "noob". Apple's directions on adding memory are very clear. Unless you are totally uncomfortable around a screwdriver you can do it yourself in 5 minutes (or 2, but you'll be careful with your new mac). If you are totally uncomfortable then just pay the $100 penalty for Apple's overpriced memory.

6. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

Is it possible to buy discount...if you're not in school? From the Buying Apple Hardware guide...
    And I was guessing that crucial.com was a good place for RAM. I'm guessing what they suggest is atleast as good as the RAM provided by Apple. It seams to be the most populer place for RAM. I sure like their prices compaired to Apple!!! :D

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I know that its not the right thing to do, but you could just have someone buy the Mac for you (pending they were in school). IDK, its up to you....

Yes, Crucial is the best place to buy RAM.

8. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I just ordered it and used Crucial to order the extra RAM. And saved about $200 thanks to this thread!! :D

My current iMac is about 75 Gigs with 768 Megs of RAM, so this'll be one sweet upgrade, to a 1 TB hard-drive with 4GB RAM!!! :D

Since I've seen comments here that Apples 'free shipping' is slow, I paid for their faster shipping option.

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00