iMac 5,1 won't connect to internet over WIFI. Running Tiger, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sup3rknova, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Sup3rknova, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Ok so since I bought I laptop I moved my iMac 5,1 into my kids room. I had leopard on it but it always had buggy issues so I went back to running tiger. Literally hours before when it had leopard everything worked fine. (On the internet).
    Since I reverted back, the mac will not connect over WIFI. I am absolutely sure I typed in the correct password but it will keep saying password not correct for airport. Or simply it would not connect. The password issue is weird though since I actually changed it, reconnected my laptop and iPhone with the new password and I get online. Any suggestions?:apple::confused:

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Just a random guess, but it could be that the airport you're using is a using a newer technology for wifi than tiger supports.

For example older computers don't support WPA-2 passwords. So you need to use a WPA password.

Or your router/Airport is Wifi-n while Tiger only supports Wifi-g.

3. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

I guess its all worth a try. Ill go into my settings and try to change the password types.

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

According to this, the iMac 5,1 models have a wireless card that supports 802.11n - so that shouldn't be the problem. Does Tiger not support 802.11n? I don't see why it wouldn't support it if it's got the right hardware.

5. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Ok changing to WPA WORKED! THANKS! I was online. But.....
    after a restart I get this lovely message at the welcome screen.
    Im getting frustrated!

Attached Files:

6. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

7. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Yup. Freezes after some use. Gotta keep restarting. I installed some new RAM and it still freezes after some use. Looked up the issues and it seems to be a logic board issue with those iMacs. No real fix really. Most people installed SMC to run the fans more. Puts a band aid on a bigger issue it looks like Apple ignored. heres a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaVumyro3o :mad::( ohwell.