Imac 5 k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Check 6, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

In the context of reducing bulk and clutter in my home office I am considering selling my 2013 Mac pro (512 sold state Hd plus 2 1Tb 7200 hds) and getting a custom configured Imac with the 5 k display.

So, comments on those that have and use the new Imac with the 5 k display are you happy with the configuration. At first glance the screen looks GREAT

I would go with 16 gig of ram, a 512 or 1TB solid state drive, the upgraded processor and graphics card.

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I have a 4GHz, 32GB RAM (originally 8, upgraded myself. Cheaper that way), 512GB SSD and 4GB M295X, and it's great.

3. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Not sure how this reduces bulk and clutter. Perhaps if you got a larger Fusion drive and ditched your two externals, otherwise you're pretty much getting like for like apart from the screen.

4. Check 6 thread starter macrumors regular

All my Hds are internal in the Mac Pro, as for the clutter, I have a custom oak rack next to my desk with the Mac Pro Tower etc in it so that would go away. Also the monitor for the Mac Pro is an Apple 30" cinima display so that would be down sized to a iMac 27 ". Bose speakers (2 plus the base unit) also take up space that would be freed up.
    then there is the bottom line, I really am not using all the capability of the Mac Pro and I do want a clearer and smaller monitor as my eyes are not what they use to be.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

So you have a tower, not the 2013 model. You do understand that your HDDs will need to become external to use with an iMac (unless you get the Fusion drive, but that means less SSD storage).

Some Points to Make:
    • The i7 Retina iMac may actually be more powerful then the Mac Pro, depending on what model it is.
    • The Retina display makes an excellent display upgrade, you will notice the difference.
    • Although the built-in sound quality of the iMac is good, it probably isn't quite as good as your dedicated speakers.
    • Don't forget to get 8 GB upfront and upgrade the RAM yourself to save cost.