Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi

I tried to buy an iMac 27" back in 2011 but, after many replacement I decided to have my money back because I don' t like the yellow tint and in general bad display backlit uniformity. Now I really want to buy a 5K iMac but I' m scared to begin, another time, a series of replacement to have a good display. The problem is still there or with the 5K display unit the problem is gone? thanks!

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
What I don't like is that they seemed to remove any way to do an advanced monitor calibration other than White point type in the 5k imac. Old profiles still work, but you can't make "advanced" new ones anymore. I'm assuming you still can with a calibration device and software.

oh, just found this:
http://www.macissues.com/2015/10/19...when-calibrating-your-displays-in-el-capitan/

The problem is that if the monitor is not uniform you simply can' t calibrate it because different area of the screen has different "tint". I' m not on the market for a professional monitor and I don' t need calibration. The problem is that I don't want to pay 3000 $ for a computer with a bad uniform monitor. What I want to know from the owners is if this 2015 5K iMac can have this kind of problem. Thanks

RDoe

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009
The problem is that if the monitor is not uniform you simply can' t calibrate it because different area of the screen has different "tint". I' m not on the market for a professional monitor and I don' t need calibration. The problem is that I don't want to pay 3000 $ for a computer with a bad uniform monitor. What I want to know from the owners is if this 2015 5K iMac can have this kind of problem. Thanks

I've had bad (three times) experiences with imac in 2013/2014 models. All sent back due to huge screen uniformity issues. Now I could not restist and order a 2015 imac. Got it yesterday and guess what, lower right quadrant in a gird of 3x3 boxes is almost 400K off the rest. Resulting in a blueish tint in that area.
I had a totally killer LG widescreen with I sold to fund this imac, but i'm sorry i did now.
Im done with imac ... I totally hate/love apple. Im now forced with a mac pro.....

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I' ve an 5K iMac now and I' m satisfied with his screen. I only use my eyes to measure it but i will keep my computer and I' m satisfied with it

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I worked as a color matcher for a paint manufacturer for close to 20 years. People see color and lightness different, while some doesn't notice the littlest change others see it as a big problem. I had an Apple monitor that I used with my PCs a while back that supposedly had the "yellow tint" problem, I never noticed it (maybe never bothered me). However, someone once used my monitor and said "Man, that monitor has a yellow tint". The thing is you really really had to look at it to notice it (Well at least I had to). An before anyone says I don't know color, I passed the color test (forget the test name) with a perfect score. Even this 27" 5k iMac I can notice a little difference if I look from one end of the screen to the other side. Though I chalk it up as there is no window on one end and there is a window on the other end, lightness does play a role in color and lightness/darkness. I remember once going over to a friend's house, parked my new truck in the street, another friend comes walking up and says "Nice, blue truck you have there". I look at him strangely and said it was black, but when I looked out the window it did look blue. The sun was going down, so the horizontal light a played factor in making the truck look blue instead of black.
All I can say is the resolution of this 5k iMac is just stunning and I'm very happy that I bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.