iMac 5K 27" Ridiculous fan noise

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ozfe1, Feb 22, 2016.

1. ozfe1 macrumors newbie

It doesn't sound faulty, but $3800 and this is the loudest desktop computer I have ever seen.

I got the 2TB fusion, 4.0 GHz i7, Radeon R9 N395 and upgraded to 24 GB RAM. I have 2 external 21.5" monitors connected, but the CPU usage is at about 10% and the fan is as loud my late 2012 27" was at full CPU usage. In fact, an app update installation woke me up a few nights ago.

Is this typical behaviour for the 5K iMac?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the M395/2TB iMac and I don't hear a thing. My iMAc is running in the mid 30c range, and the fans are silent. I don't know what to say OP, but it sounds like something may be wrong with yours. What's your temperature? Sounds like the fans are going full bore if you hear them that much.

3. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Doesn't sound right. Mine is dead quiet except when encoding video. Check your start up items and running programs to try to track down the culprit. If you are in your support window, give apple a call.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Try to disconnect the external monitor to see if there is any difference.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

CPU load probably isn't telling you much.
    Use an app that monitors your temp sensors, as the fans may simply be triggered because of your internal temps.
    And, could be the graphics card that is doing that...
    Do you still hear fans if you leave both monitors disconnected for a few hours?

6. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

Only hear it when rendering 3D.
    Then it kicks in loud!