Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.rumors

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2008
London, UK
My second iMac 5k ordered 24th December Shipped from San Jose, CA and has a serial number starting with D, which according to a serial number lookup site is assembled in the USA.

Very happy about this and wanted to let everyone know!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
My second iMac 5k ordered 24th December Shipped from San Jose, CA and has a serial number starting with D, which according to a serial number lookup site is assembled in the USA.

Um, ok. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere

I can understand your happiness!
Finally!
This is a very good news!
(It must be the same feeling when I checked my Sony Full HD TV set and it was made in Spain).
Enjoy it!

Doga

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Near Montréal, Canada
A week ago I took delivery of my new CTO iMac, a non-retina 27" 3.4 ghz i5 / GTX 775M with a 512 gig SSD - it too has a serial number starting with D, and was assembled in the U.S. :cool:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

The factory is all robotics. It doesn't create any American assembly line jobs of note for working class people.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nevertheless it is a first step to see again on products "Made in USA"/"Assembled in USA".

For what benefit? I mean if its largely an automated factory, who cares if its made in the US or elsewhere. Personally, I don't care either way as long as its a quality product.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
For what benefit? I mean if its largely an automated factory, who cares if its made in the US or elsewhere. Personally, I don't care either way as long as its a quality product.

First of all, even if it is an automated factory Americans work there.
You don't care?

a). http://www.macworld.com/article/286...phone-factory-but-is-it-all-apples-fault.html
b). The QC of Apple products is no way the same as it used to be (and this is just one example that is a direct consequence of point a). (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1831979/)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple's QC issues are in no direct relation to where its made. I'm also not worked up where things are made.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
First of all, even if it is an automated factory Americans work there.
You don't care?

a). http://www.macworld.com/article/286...phone-factory-but-is-it-all-apples-fault.html
b). The QC of Apple products is no way the same as it used to be (and this is just one example that is a direct consequence of point a). (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1831979/)

I didn't know the United States was the only country that didn't have labour violations.

And to be on topic my refurb 2012 i5 Mac Mini serial starts with a D.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Apple's QC issues are in no direct relation to where its made. I'm also not worked up where things are made.

The quality issues are very much related to where a product is made. Amongst others the BBC Documentry insinuated it as well.
I don't think the robots making an iMac will fall asleep paying less and less attention to quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.